Lookin' fresh: Freshening up an old pattern

It is a versatile old pattern that goes with everything in the closet, yet it stands out and looks great on any body type.

Marled pattern looks like marbled granite; it has a mixed, grainy look. Usually, the colors associated with marled print are black, white and grey, but it can also consist of other colors.

Marl-printed clothing pieces consist of jackets, joggers, leggings, skirts, tops and sometimes dresses. Marled print is versatile enough to be used in most workout, fall and winter clothes.

When wearing dark colors with marled clothing, the outfit gives off a warm and comfortable vibe that works well with the winter atmosphere. Try pairing a marled skirt with tights, a black top and a black leather jacket with some black leather boots. The mix of grey, black and white adds just enough color to make the outfit really pop and look well put-together.

Wearing marled clothing pieces can also make a statement. Marled clothes tend to stand out due to the grainy look of the pattern and the colors; try wearing marled joggers with a black T-shirt and/or black hoodie, black leather handbag and some ankle boots.

This outfit gives off a bit of luxurious, relaxed and cool vibe.

The marled joggers will stand out because they cover half the body, and the grey and white from the marled print are the only other colors in the outfit, which allows the joggers to be the crème de la crème of the whole outfit.

Marled clothes are very flattering and make the body look slimmer. Marled print looks good on most workout clothes because the dramatic look of the pattern tends to hide any “problem areas.” When working out, try mixing marled leggings with a bright-colored top and some bright-colored tennis shoes.

The bright colors will add some energy to the outfit, while the dark colors from the marled leggings will add a serious, “getting down to business” workout vibe.

Word to the fashion-wise: marled print is the way to go for this fall and winter fashion season. Marled clothing is good to invest in because it gives the buyer a lot of incentives. Marled clothing is versatile, makes a great statement piece and flatters any body shape. There are multiple ways to wear and style marled fashion pieces — it just requires some experimentation.

Courtney Salinger is the fashion columnist for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @lookinfresh23.