Fashionably U: Don't let your bag be a burden

A satchel bag is classy and sophisticated. This bag makes any outfit look more expensive and luxurious, due to the square shape and sleek, minimal detail. When sporting a satchel, one might try wearing something that’s a bit on the formal side. Due to its small size, a satchel is good for holding a few notebooks, writing utensils and a wallet.

A clutch is simple, fun and compact. Clutches look cutest when paired with dresses and skirt combos. Clutches are great to wear because they don’t cover much of the outfit, they are small enough to carry the necessities and they add a little bit of personality to the look.

Purses look best with more casual pieces of clothing because they are basic, but radiate a little bit more of a girly and easygoing side. When showing off a purse, wear pieces of clothing that are comfortable, like jeans and a leather jacket. Or, one can try wearing leggings and a cardigan.

Designer handbags add elegance and richness to any ensemble. These bags look good with just about anything because they add a certain sense of intelligence and popularity. People who sport these bags want to make a statement and have moderately heavy things to carry.

Drawstring bags are athletic and good for holding workout clothes and necessities. Ideally, drawstring bags can be carried with another bag because of their simplicity. Some stores offer faux leather drawstring bags, which can be used just like any other purse. Due to the narrowness at the top of the bag, it doesn’t hold much. Faux leather drawstring bags look good with longer cardigans, and they add a western-inspired feel to the look.

A typical backpack is strong and original. Backpacks are great for individuals that have to carry a lot of school supplies because of the sturdiness and weight capacity that the backpack brings to the table. In addition to being able to wear just about anything with a backpack, put on some sweats and a sweater, for the ultimate comfy, casual look.

Purses and handbags change an outfit’s appeal. They can make or break the ensemble and can change the vibe of the look. When deciding on the perfect purse or handbag for one’s outfit, look at the shape and size of the bag. Also, look to see how much space the bag offers. All it takes is careful preparation and organization.

Courtney Salinger is a fashion columnist for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture
@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@lookinfresh23.