Lookin' fresh: Layer your winter looks

One way to make this happen is to mix leggings with a crochet or knit sweater underneath a heavy pea coat. Finish it off with some leather boots, a beanie, a scarf and some leather gloves, and the outfit makes the wearer look sophisticated and classy. In exchange for a sweater, one can wear a leather jacket with a T-shirt or tank top to add more of a trendy feel to the ensemble.

For those who are looking for more of a flirty, fun outfit, try on a bodycon dress with some tights, a scarf and knee-high leather boots underneath a chunky, long cardigan. The cardigan can instead be a leather jacket or a cropped faux-fur jacket, if one likes: The leather jacket adds toughness to the outfit, whereas the cropped faux fur jacket can add a radiant, over-the-top feel.

Instead of a dress, one can wear shorts or a skirt over some tights, with ankle boots and a comfy sweater underneath a trench coat. Don’t forget to add some cute gloves and a trendy scarf. This type of look is more relaxed, yet has a taste of confidence.

The great thing about winter wear is that not everything has to match, and clothing pieces don’t have to be all dark. Winter wear gives the individual more freedom to experiment with mixing and matching clothes and accessories.

When mixing accessories with clothing pieces, try wearing complementary colors. Including some color adds personality and life to the outfit. This makes the whole outfit become more playful and adds a spark.

Layering clothes for winter weather isn’t too hard. All it takes is creativity, personality and some adorable winter accessories,

Courtney Salinger is a fashion columnist for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @lookinfresh23.