Column: A primer to understanding U.K. English

On a day-to-day basis, I say certain words that cause American students great confusion or embarrassment. To break this, I’ve come up with an U.S. English to U.K. English cheat sheet.

1) Shopping cart vs. trolley

Using the word “trolley” at the grocery store for six months has brought much amusement to people, but “it is what it is,” as we Brits say.

2) “I’m waiting in line” vs. 
“I’m queuing”

While Americans wait in lines with their shopping carts, I’m queuing in a queue with a trolley.

3) Fries vs. Chips and Potato Chips vs. Crisps

This is probably the most useful translation if you are going abroad, because you will most certainly get the wrong food.

4) Underwear vs. Pants

To save embarrassment, don’t ever compliment a girl on her “pants.”

5) Arugula vs. Rocket

This was one of the most confusing translations I have come across. To me, arugula, a plant, sounds like an Indian spice that I would have on top of my chicken jalfrezi. I was very surprised when a waitress asked me if I wanted it on my pizza.

6) Eraser vs. Rubber

When I was 11 years old, I visited my friend in California at her school for the day. While I was drawing a picture in the corner, I interrupted her math class to ask for a rubber. The class broke into a fit of laughter and the teacher gave me a very worried expression. I have now learned it means something quite different here.

7) Christmas vs. Christmas

I had to watch multiple interviews with Bryan Cranston to believe that here in New Mexico you actually use the word “Christmas” to order red and green chile! Christmas is just a holiday with “Santa,” or as the Brits call him, Father Christmas. Calling red and green chile Christmas is just too inventive for us.