UNM crime briefs for Feb. 12, 2015

Student stalked at school and work

On Feb. 3, UNM Police Department was dispatched to the SUB in reference to harassment. According to the report, a student told police that a subject continues to flirt with her and constantly engage her in conversation. Also, the subject has reportedly showed up at the student’s work and asked her co-workers for her schedule. UNMPD has been asked to advise the subject to leave her alone and will be called the next time the subject shows up at the students work.

Suspect on motorcycle sexually harasses student

On Feb. 4, UNMPD was dispatched to A Lot near Johnson field in reference to battery. According to the report, a student was walking near the biology building when the suspect, on a yellow Yamaha Motorcycle wearing a red helmet, slapped her on her butt as he drove past her. When police arrived at the location, the suspect was fleeing the area at a high speed. UNMPD attempted to initiate a traffic stop but was not able to. An attempt to locate the suspect was placed with Albuquerque Police Department. The victim said she was not physically harmed and was given resources for further help.

Ex-boyfriend violently confronts student

On Feb. 4, UNMPD was dispatched to Popejoy Hall in reference to battery against a household member. According to the report, a student told police that her ex-boyfriend approached her and began arguing with her. The student said the relationship has been over for three months and she has made it clear that she no longer wants any form of contact with him. During their interaction, the ex-boyfriend grabbed her and refused to let her go until she heard what he had to say. The student pulled away and the ex-boyfriend grabbed her shoulder and was pushing her. The student pulled away and kicked the ex-boyfriend. A witness intervened and told the ex-boyfriend to leave her alone.

UNMPD called the ex-boyfriend’s cell phone and asked him to give a written statement and an interview. His statement concurred with the student’s. The ex-boyfriend said he was trying to secure closure with her. The ex-boyfriend will be summoned to court for the incident.

Microphone taken from SUB Ballroom

On Feb. 7, UNMPD was dispatched to the SUB in reference to larceny. According to the report, an employee told police that he set up Ballroom A for an event and left the room at about 9 a.m. When he returned at about 9:30 a.m., a microphone set up on a podium was missing. A witness reported an unknown subject wearing a bright orange shirt leaving the room.

~ Compiled by Erika Eddy