Column: Nine things I don't understand about New Mexico

Obsession with green chile

In total, New Mexicans produce almost forty thousand tons of green chile every year. Which makes sense for why you locals put it on everything – and I mean everything. All year round, people are putting it on their burgers, burritos, pizzas, tacos, bagels and the list goes on and on! While the rest of us make a traditional Christmas garland out of leaves, New Mexicans decide to hang red and green chile on your doors all year round and call it a day.

Owning a gun

This is shocking for all Brits as most of us have never seen a gun, never mind owned one. However, in New Mexico you can purchase and carry a gun in public without a permit? I’m taking more care on Central Avenue now.

3 Lack of public transport

Having only been in Albuquerque a month, I quickly learned that if you don’t own a car, you are stranded. If you own a bike, it will get stolen by the end of the week; the buses are known as a no-go area as you may be mugged and no one quite knows where they go; and finally, I don’t think anyone has walked more than three blocks past Central.

4 Obsession with Neil Patrick Harris

So yes, Neil Patrick Harris was born right here in Albuquerque and of course, he is a very successful actor, comedian and writer. But I haven’t caught on to the overwhelming obsession with him. I have boys in my classes on a daily basis yelling ‘NPH is a GOD, a GOD.’ Really?

5 Skiing in a desert?

I simply don’t understand the weather here. I can wake up, put a T-shirt and shorts on thinking it’s going to be about 75 degrees Fahrenheit, a cold wind blows over and it’s freezing cold. On weekends, you can spend your mornings skiing in Taos and your afternoon sweating around in Santa Fe. And yet you don’t have rain?

6 Sunset

Perhaps it’s simply because I live in England where our skies are always cloudy and grey, but the sky in New Mexico never fails to amaze me. The colors on the Sandia Mountains at sunset are breath taking.

7 The lack of “Breaking Bad” fans

“Breaking Bad” is a huge TV show and it was all filmed right here in Albuquerque. Even the Denny’s on Central Avenue was used in an episode. Yet, so many New Mexicans have never watched it. Personally, I think many are standing in protest to be the cool hipsters in the class that have seen episodes being filmed but never watched it ... Cool kids.

8 Hot air balloons

I was completely blown away (pardon the pun) by the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta last year. Over 500 balloons floating over the Sandia Mountains was one of the most stunning sights I will ever see. However, sometimes I question whether it is still occurring? Some mornings, I walk around on campus and notice a couple of hot air balloons just floating around. Did I miss something? Were they not able to land after the Fiesta? Is there anybody in them?

9 Constant UFO sightings

Every trip to downtown Albuquerque will somehow result to you talking about a possible UFO sighting. Only last month, three suspected “UFO’s” were sighted. Someone is related to someone who once met a guy who saw a UFO ... Are you sure they weren’t the hot air balloons I keep seeing?

Sophie Earle is a freelance columnist for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.