Women's basketball: Win at Wyoming would lock second place for UNM

A win tonight in Laramie, Wyoming guarantees the Lobos can do no worse than second in the conference.

“We just have to focus on how we can get a win in Wyoming,” head coach Yvonne Sanchez said. “We’ll focus on that first, and then we will know by Friday night where we finish.”

While the team is focused on leaving Wyoming with a win, there are other scenarios that could place New Mexico anywhere from first to third in conference:

With a UNM win and a Utah State upset against Colorado State today, the Lobos would be crowned co-champs of the Mountain West. Colorado State would still have the No. 1 seed in the conference tourney, but the two schools would share the label of conference champions.

According to Mountain West tie-breaking rules, records from games played by the tied teams are used first. If a tie still exists, comparisons of matchups against other conference teams, in order of how teams rank in the standings, are consulted until a tie is broken.

The Rams would have an advantage over the Lobos if the teams finish with the same record, since both teams split the series with Fresno State and Boise State. The two teams would have swept Wyoming, but due to the Lobos splitting the series against the UNLV Rebels, Colorado State would win the tie-breaker, having won the only matchup against UNLV this season.

If Colorado State beats the Aggies, the Rams will be the undisputed Mountain West champions.

However, if New Mexico stumbles against Wyoming today, and Fresno State defeats Boise State, Fresno State and New Mexico would be tied at No. 2 in the conference. Fresno State would be granted a better seed only with a UNLV loss at home against San Jose State, pushing Wyoming in sole possession of fifth place. UNM owns the tie-breaker against UNLV, but Fresno State holds the advantage if Wyoming finishes above UNLV.

With all of the confusing scenarios aside, redshirt senior guard Antiesha Brown said she is looking at her final conference game as a way to elicit some confidence in her squad before the Mountain West tournament.

“Going into the conference tournament with that momentum, that positive energy, will do wonders for us,” Brown said. “Once we start getting on a roll it’s hard to stop us.”

On Monday Brown was awarded with her second Mountain West Player of the Week title of the season.

“It’s about a team effort,” Brown said. “Without those two wins, without the effort of the team, it wouldn’t have happened.”

Sanchez said Brown has worked hard to be the leader that has played into the team’s successful run, especially during conference play.

The Lobos have turned their season around during conference after a slow 1-7 start. The team has already won the most Mountain West wins in school history, and with one more win on Friday night the Lobos will be the No. 2 seed heading into the conference tournament.

“Right now we’re just focused on winning,” Sanchez said.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the assistant sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at assistantsports@dailylobo.com or on twitter @Liam_CE.