UNM's Alexa Chavez guards San Diego State's McKynzie Fort during the second half of the Mountain West Basketball Tournament quarterfinal game Tuesday evening at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas. The Lobos held off the Aztec to advance to Wednesday's semifinals.

Lobos survive, advance in MW women's quarterfinals

LAS VEGAS -- Yvonne Sanchez found it difficult to compare this UNM women’s basketball team to others she has been around.

There are similarities, the Lobo coach said, like the team’s length and athleticism, or its inside presence. That being said, Sanchez said this team is unique.

“I think, like I told them before, they have a chance to be a special team. Our journey has been fantastic,” she said. “Sometimes you don’t want to get to the destination because your journey is so much fun. We’re still on our journey.”

A 57-56 victory over San Diego State in Tuesday’s Mountain West Basketball Tournament quarterfinals ensured that quest continued. The No. 2 seeded Lobos will continue tournament play Wednesday at the Thomas & Mack Center when it faces either third seed Fresno State or eight seed Wyoming.

UNM also avoided being the second No. 2 seed to lose in the tournament’s quarterfinal round.

The red-hot Lobos swept SDSU in the regular season, winning at WisePies Arena 62-53 on Jan. 7 and again 63-47 in San Diego’s Viejas Arena. The third time around proved to be a physical, tight affair. UNM never held a lead larger than nine points, and SDSU’s largest margin was four points.

“We really didn’t know what to expect,” said Lobo guard Antiesha Brown, who scored a game-high 17 points. “Like I said, it’s March.”

The Lobos also withstood a superb SDSU opportunity in the final moments.

Lobo guard Bryce Owens sank two free throws with 42 seconds remaining to push UNM ahead by one point. On the next SDSU possession, the Lobos kept the Aztecs at bay and drained much of the shot clock. However, Lobo guard Cherise Beynon tripped SDSU guard Ariell Bostick with three seconds left on the shot clock and the referees called a foul, resetting the shot clock for the Aztecs.

Following a timeout, SDSU looked to set up a 3-point shot. Bostick fired a triple from the corner but missed, and Erimma Amarikwa failed to convert on the rebound putback. Lobo Khadijah Shumpert pulled down the final rebound as time expired, sending the Lobos into a frenzy at halfcourt.

“It couldn’t play out any more perfect. We got a layup as a buzzer beater,” SDSU’s Desi Culberson said. “That’s basketball at its finest.”

At moments, UNM’s offense stagnated. The Lobos build its nine-point edge in the first half, first at 29-20 following a 9-2 run, and again at 32-23 after both teams exchanged 3-pointers. From there, San Diego State closed out the opening half scoring nine of the last 12 points, including forward Kristina Hunter’s rebound putback at the buzzer.

The Aztecs came out of the break and rattled off a 13-6 run for a 43-39 lead. UNM regained some energy with its own 9-0 run. SDSU chipped away at the Lobo lead for the remainder of the game, setting up the determining final series.

“Halftime, we just wanted to focus on defense and rebounding, just keeping the energy high. Runs are going to go back and forth,” UNM guard Brea Mitchell said. “The team that rebounds and plays the best defense and works the hardest usually comes out with the win.”

Mitchell matched a career-high with 11 points. She and Brown were the only Lobos to finish in double-figure scoring. Beynon and forward Alexa Chavez pulled down eight rebounds a piece as UNM had 36 boards as a team.

Guard Ahjalee Harvey paced SDSU’s scorers with 16 points, while Amarikwa recorded a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds.

UNM shot 38.3 percent from the field (23 of 60), 21.4 percent from 3-point range (3 of 14) and 72.7 percent from the free throw line (8 of 11). SDSU counters shooting 44.2 percent of its field goal attempts (23 of 52), 66.7 percent from beyond the arc (2 of 3) and 53.3 percent from the line (8 of 15).By J.R. Oppenheim

UNM shot 38.3 percent from the field (23 of 60), 21.4 percent from 3-point range (3 of 14) and 72.7 percent from the free throw line (8 of 11). SDSU counters shooting 44.2 percent of its field goal attempts (23 of 52), 66.7 percent from beyond the arc (2 of 3) and 53.3 percent from the line (8 of 15).