Five and why with Larissa Koza

Larissa Koza, an architecture graduate student from Brazil, said she loves to use her free time during the summer to watch her favorite action movies 
and musicals.

1.“The Phantom of the Opera” 
directed by Joel Schumacher

“I just like the mystery. (Summer) is the time of the year that I’m usually home, so we like to watch it together. I think the phantom is a misunderstood genius; he’s fantastic, but he’s just misunderstood by society and people never treat him well. It kind of got to his mind, but he’s still a genius.”

2.“Lara Croft: Tomb Raider” 
directed by Simon West

“I think it’s because of the adventure and the archeology part. I am fascinated with archeology. It’s usually in the summer that it goes on TV, and if it’s on TV I have to watch it.”

3.“Raiders of the Lost Ark” 
directed by Steven Spielberg

“It’s also because of the archeology. I wished to do archeology for graduation, but in Brazil there is no chance. Indiana Jones is a teacher, and when I went to high school I found this history teacher that looked like him and I just can’t disconnect the two in my head. My father always liked Indiana Jones, too. It was him who introduced me to the series, and it makes me remember him.”

4.“Moulin Rouge” directed by Baz Luhrmann

“I like musicals. I never thought of myself as a romantic person, but the romance (in this) got to me. It’s an unlikely love story and I found it very interesting. My best friend introduced me to this movie, and it kind of became our movie to watch together. It’s sentimental to me.”

5.“Underworld” directed by Len Wiseman

“It has nothing to do with summer, but I (like) the vampires living forever theme. The vampires are not nice or cute, and I think it’s more realistic if you can’t use those words related to vampires. It makes me think about things, like if I have time or if I don’t have time.”

Skylar Griego is the culture editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @TDLBooks.