Column: Don't just vote - you are ASUNM

Who honestly cares about ASUNM? What do they even do (aside from wearing bright colors and harassing people twice a year asking them to vote)?

We know that student government can seem irrelevant, and the work we do sometimes doesn’t quite reach the student body in the way we hope it to. But we wouldn’t stand out there in heels, getting sunburns and creepily approaching strangers, if we didn’t believe in something bigger.

This year we want YOU to be a part of something bigger with us; we no longer want to only be visible during campaign season, nor do we want you thinking that ASUNM is only a group of elected officials. Fiestas is ASUNM. The Burning of the Aggie is ASUNM. Lobbying for the Lottery Scholarship is ASUNM. Learning how to throw pottery is ASUNM. YOU ARE ASUNM. ASUNM is 3 branches, 8 agencies, 20 senators, 40+ student employees, 75+ volunteers and you!

We want to be a team that is here for you: A team that creates a university experience that you are proud to be a part of, and we feel that the best way to do that is by creating a relationship between the student government and student body.

My name is Jenna Hagengruber and I am the President of ASUNM. I like the Green Bay Packers, swinging at parks and running half-marathons.

My name is Alexandra Cervantes and I am the Vice President of ASUNM. I like the San Diego Chargers, I listen to Fleetwood Mac vinyls and I consume too much ice cream.

Now that you know a little bit more about ASUNM and about us, we would like you to help us get to know you! We will be writing a column once a week that will be published in the Daily Lobo on Mondays. This column will keep you all updated on the inner workings of ASUNM, our Senate, interactions with administration and Regents and our team as a whole. Please e-mail us, Facebook us and continue to read our column every week. We want to be as open and transparent to you as possible. Stopping us on campus and stopping by our offices are also encouraged. Get pumped for a POWERHOUSE year — we know we are!

ASUNM is the undergraduate student government for UNM. Contact them at asunm@unm.edu. Jenna Hagengruber is the 2015-16 ASUNM president and can be reached at asunmprz@unm.edu; Alexandra Cervantes is the 2015-16 ASUNM vice president and can be reached at asunmvp@unm.edu.