George R. R. Martin preps with his video team moments before heading into his panel discussion at Bubonicon 47. Martin’s popularity has grown with the HBO series Game of Thrones, which was based on his novels.

Local sci-fi fest is a garden of fresh ideas

Ring Around the Rosie, Pocket Full of Posies, Ashes, Ashes, we all went to Bubonicon.

Caci Cooper, co-chair for Bubonicon, said Bubonicon is a place for people to express their passions. Now in its 47th year, the convention has become a haven for local and regional science fiction fans and authors.

The annual event is held in an Albuquerque hotel and has a pop culture-related theme. This year, Bubonicon’s theme was “Women of Wonder”.

“We chose Women of Wonder because women are sometimes under-recognized in this particular literary culture,” Cooper said.

Craig Chrissinger, program coordinator, said Bubonicon exists for people who are interested in science fiction, fantasy, horror and comic books to come together and create a community.

“New Mexico is blessed. Whether it is science fiction, history, mainstream -- there are a lot of writers that live here. We do invite people from outside New Mexico,” Chrissinger said.

He said Women of Wonder is focused on acknowledging the powers of the female characters and the women that had to write under a male pseudonym or use their initials.

Richard Harper, creator of Harper Notes, said there are advantages to not being huge. Bubonicon’s flyer published the history of Bubonicon, which includes the attendance. In 1969, Bubonicon was called New Mexicon and 20 people attended the event. In 2013, the attendance was 980 people.

“When you are young, if you enjoy reading, you should learn how to write so that you will enjoy reading a whole lot more,” Harper said.

Harper said he thinks Bubonicon is a good starting point for young writers who want to write for a living.

‘What I like about it is I come up with a lot of ideas that I would write if I was able to write,” Harper said. “It stimulates my thinking.”

He said he comes to Bubonicon and sees that the participants have a lot of imagination.

George R.R. Martin, the writer of the Song of Ice and Fire Series, read two chapters from his latest book at the event. It is possible to reserve his upcoming novel at Barnes and Noble, though the novel does not yet have a name.

“Every writer is a little different. You just gotta write, read and keep practicing your craft. That’s the main thing,” Martin said.

Imani Lambert is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter at @DailyLobo.