UNM linebacker Kimmie Carson sacs the Mississippi Valley quarterback on Saturday evening, at University Stadium. The Lobos will play against Arizona State on September 18th in Tempe, AZ.

Football: Defense leads Lobos to 66-0 shutout

New Mexico’s defense showed no growing pains showcasing its new nickel defense in a 66-0 rout over Mississippi 
Valley State on Saturday night at 
University Stadium.

UNM sent consistent pressure throughout the night in the season opener against MVSU’s dual quarterback system, never allowing any kind of rhythm for the Delta Devils.

Head coach Bob Davie said he doesn’t take anything for granted after his team blew out the visiting Delta Devils, but said it was hard to tell how well his defense actually performed.

“Mississippi Valley State really struggled,” Davie said of MVSU’s offense. “I don’t know that they knew what they really wanted to do.”

Davie said he was able to throw a lot of different looks at an inferior MVSU squad. Thirty-one different players saw playing time on the defensive side of the ball for the Lobos.

All of Davie’s different looks produced UNM’s first shutout since its homecoming game on October 4, 2008 against Wyoming. The Lobos won that game 24-0 under head coach Rocky Long.

“We really just wanted to go out there and make a statement,” redshirt sophomore linebacker Kimmie Carson said. “I think holding them to zero points made a statement, no matter the team. We did what we wanted to do.”

MVSU (0-1) ran 56 plays, accumulating 74 yards on 13 drives in its season opener.

Only one of MVSU’s 13 drives was threatening as the Delta Devils marched down the field and into the red zone. The ten-play, 55-yard drive was nullified after a poor exchange between quarterback Dontrinell Scott and wide receiver Booker Chambers.

The fumble at the 20 yard line was the only time MVSU managed to make an appearance inside the red zone despite having a longer time of possession than the Lobos.

UNM’s addition of an extra defensive back had no effect on the Lobos’ ability to reach 
the backfield.

New Mexico (1-0) made 13 tackles behind the line of scrimmage for a loss of 71 yards on the game. The Lobo defense had its sights on Scott throughout the contest as five different players brought down the quarterback, tallying six total sacks on the day.

The pressure UNM was able to instill in its opponents contest contributed in large part to the Devils’ three turnovers, including a pick-six by graduate transfer safety Travis Green.

“I think we executed what we wanted to do,” Carson said. “I think we looked good out there; everybody was flying to the ball and executing.”

New Mexico scored each time on the three turnovers, capitalizing for 17 points on two fumbles and an interception.

Because New Mexico was able to play so many people on defense, the leading tackler was junior linebacker Maurice Daniels, who finished the day with the team-high seven total tackles, four of them solo.

The stellar defensive performance boded well for the Lobos, who had an average starting field possession at their own 45. 
MVSU’s average starting spot on offense was at its own 21 
yard line.

The season opener may have given some confidence to the team’s defensive payers, but Davie said the season truly begins next week against a tough Tulsa offense.

“We will know a lot more at this time next week than we do right now,” Davie said.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at assistantsports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@Liam_CE.