ASUNM Column: Successful student life can be achieved, with a little help

I’ve seen the whole Rocky series at least 15 times, “Rocky IV” at least 70. Rocky embodies dedication, commitment, drive and tenacity.

My whole life my mother taught me that success takes work, but it’s attainable. Heck, if it could happen for a southpaw from Philadelphia it could happen for me, right? Well, here’s hoping.

School can be hard. Eating full meals at reasonable times can be hard. Life can be a challenge. But that doesn’t mean success is impossible, and it doesn’t mean that the difficulties to reach the goal line aren’t worth it.

As your student government we can’t promise you the world. But what we can do, we will do. We want to help you be successful in whatever ways we can.

This week we are dedicated to your success. We will be doing everything from hosting informational fairs to giving away freebies to help you get through the week. If you want to get some information about how our Student Agencies and Resource Centers can help you, then stop by the two fairs we have this week in the SUB Atrium.

If you ride a bike and are worried about it being stolen by hooligans, come get it registered with us by the Duck Pond. If you like fall and you want to chat with us about what’s concerning you on campus, come make some free caramel apples. And if you just like free things, come get some grub and blue books at our events all week long.

Why can’t you start that pasta connoisseur club you’ve been dreaming of? Why can’t you be at the top of your 400-level class? Why can’t you be a parent and a student and involved? Why can’t you be the best student at UNM? Why not? Just do it.

Just decide what success is for you, and let us help you achieve it. Shoot me e-mails on what you would like to see us doing to help you be successful: asunmvp@unm.edu. Remember that your playing small does not serve the world. Be freaking great.

And if all else fails, eat candy corn and watch motivational YouTube videos. That always seems to help.

Alexandra Cervantes is the Associated Students of UNM vice president for the 2015-2016 school year.