CDDIGI-2.1A

Mellow artist offers easy listening at free local concert

What’s better than a nice, relaxing concert on a Monday evening? A free, relaxing concert.

Canadian Indie folk artist Mike Edel will be at Lobo Theater on Monday for the second performance of his latest tour in support of his newest release, “India, Seattle.” Admission is free.

“India, Seattle” is a mellow record that makes use of a pleasant blend of electric and acoustic guitar, Edel’s crisp vocals and meaningful lyrics. The simplest way to describe this release is to call it a record of a guy and his guitar.

The album opens up with the sweet lyrics of “All the Morning:”

“The sky fell in the water and it burned bright/ I sang your song to our friends by candlelight.”

The smooth harmonies and upbeat guitar solo will leave fans of indie rock with a great first impression. Even those who prefer other genres may find Edel enjoyable, if they like calm music with lots of acoustic guitar.

The light rock feel of “India, Seattle” is perfect for those in the mood for some easy listening. Edel’s clear tone and catchy rhythms are the perfect background noise for listeners who use music to concentrate while doing something.

Edel’s voice is light and airy, lulling listeners into a comfortable sense of peace. “The Closer” and “St. Columba” especially captivate listeners with their slow beats and solemn tones. The slightest hint of a Canadian accent adds a charming quality to the lovely sound of each song.

“More Than Summer” stands out as an energetic track. The addition of an upbeat violin complete with clapping crowd of people 'ooh'ing and 'ahh'ing along meet all the requirements of a feel-good crowd singalong. What’s ironic about this particular track is the melancholy lyrics about the end of summer.

The final track, from which the album gets its name, is perhaps the gentlest song of them all. The subtle piano and violin round out the lower end of the track. The best part is the brief, but hypnotic electric guitar solo near the end of the solemn portion. It leaves listeners with a tranquil sense of closure, though the lyrics seem somewhat sad.

“India, Seattle” is an excellent indie folk album for those who enjoy winding down to music. The imagery present throughout each song hypnotizes listeners as they take in Edel’s wonderfully soothing voice.

This is a guy and his guitar worth checking out.

Skylar Griego is the culture editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @TDLBooks.