Halloween: NM choirs amplify chills in 'Spooktacular'

Violins repeat the same sequence of notes while basses create dark undertones and the chorus chants eerily as the collective ensemble grows faster and louder until exploding in a clangorous climax of the percussion section.

A suspenseful soundtrack typifies any great thriller, horror or Halloween film, and it is to be expected of the New Mexico Philharmonic this Halloween at their annual “Halloween Spooktacular.”

The New Mexico Philharmonic will perform at Popejoy Hall on Saturday at 6 p.m. in partnership with the New Mexico Gay Men’s Chorus and the New Mexico Women’s Chorus.

Labeled a “symphonic tribute to the greatest musical chills and thrills of all time,” the concert is appealing to a family audience.

Alex Onieal, the New Mexico Philharmonic office manager, said this year they are emphasizing a family-friendly environment. With the help of the So-Low VW Club, the “trunk-or-treat” entails a number of cars outside of Popejoy offering attendees the trick-or-treating experience by visiting the cars.

Marian Tanau, the executive director, said he hopes this can draw a broader audience than last year.

“The ‘trunk-or-treat’ is a great alternative to trick-or-treating because this is in a safe space and it doesn’t matter that it gets dark early. We hope this draws more families as this is a family-oriented event,” he said.

Alexis Corbin, the operations coordinator of the event, said the event comes with many extras, including hanging out with “Star Wars” character, face painting and a photo booth.

Bryon Herrington, the current second trombonist and guest conductor, will be orchestrating the philharmonic and Caleb James of KOB Eyewitness News 4 will be the MC.

Onieal said attendees can expect a variety of performances at the event.

“We will have general Halloween-themed music, some numbers from Star Wars, Harry Potter, The Rocky Horror Picture Show and a couple of Tim Burton soundtracks. Really just music that fits the sound of Halloween,” Oneial said.

Joining the philharmonic are The New Mexico Gay Men’s Chorus, led by Aaron Howe, and The New Mexico Women’s Chorus. All three groups have long histories of involvement in the Albuquerque community and have frequently collaborated for such events.

Corbin said though the philharmonic has never worked with the two groups before, they are both incredibly accomplished choirs and she’s sure they will add a great element to the performance.

“This is the first time we’ve worked with these choruses.We usually work with choruses from the local school community, but these are two really successful groups and I’m really excited to see how it all comes together.”

Corbin said she encourages all those who come to dress up.

“The choir and the orchestra are all going to be in costume so it’s going to be a really enthusiastic event,” she said.

The new performers in this year’s line-up promise a “frightfully good night.” After all, it wouldn’t Halloween be without a chilling soundtrack.

Ticket prices and information can be found at unmtickets.com/philharmonic or at the UNM Bookstore.

Josh Lane is a culture reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.