Letter: Societal expectations lead to homophobia and self-denial

Many males who yell “faggot” at others have sex with males or want to, but do not have the balls to say so. Some males are terrified of their hidden desire, scared if they tried it once with a male, they would enjoy it so much that they would want to keep getting it on with males.

If it were not for the terrible taboos from religion, family and friends, most, if not all, would be strongly sexually attracted to at least one man during their lifetime and could enjoy sex and romance with him. Sex between men would become as popular as baseball, basketball, soccer or wrestling.

If I am sexually attracted to a man who is married to a woman, and if he is sexually attracted to me, I hesitate to have sex with him. I do not want him lying to his wife and getting in fights with her because of me if she does not know and accept his bisexuality.

Many married men feel they have the right to have sex with other women or men, but they demand their wives to have sex with no other men or women under the threat of divorce or violence. I want any bisexual man I have sex with to be honest and fair with his wife or girlfriend. No Lies! No double standard!

I grew up on a farm in Illinois. When I was in first grade in a one-room country school, I was attracted to sixth-grade Italian Roger. When I was 12, I was attracted to teenage David who worked shirt-free on our family farm. In high school, I was attracted to certain male athletes. When I graduated high school, I did not know that many men are in love and make love with men. No teacher in high school, no teacher in college told me Michelangelo, Lenardo da Vinci, Walt Whitman, James Baldwin and many well-known men past and present have enjoyed romance with men.

One evil excuse the European invaders used to justify their mass murder of Native Americans was how common sex between men was in some tribes.

A gay Anglo told me a married Chicano picked a fight with him. Later they both were at the same party. As the night wore on, they got it on -- not with fists, but in sex! The married Chicano went home to his wife and returned to the gay Anglo for more sex.

The gay Anglo asked him, “If you had these feelings for me, why did you pick a fight with me?” The married Chicano answered honestly, “I could not let my friends know.” Millions of men and women are bisexual or bi-curious.

Until any man on Earth can freely tell his family and friends he is attracted to certain men with no fear, no shame, no guilt, and until any woman on Earth can freely tell her family and friends she is attracted to certain women with no fear, no shame, no guilt, our struggle for romantic freedom must continue.

If you have a friend who makes fun of, curses, threatens or beats up gays, lesbians and bisexuals, tell him, “You better stop persecuting them. Some people may wonder, ‘why are you barking so loud? what are you running from? what are you trying to hide?’”

Why is violence between men far more accepted than passionate pleasure between men? Why would many parents much rather have their son injure men in football and boxing or kill men as a soldier in war than for him to be in love and make love with men?

Don Schrader