UNM's defensive line holds back junior running back Steven Lakalaka at University Stadium Oct.17, 2015. The Lobos beat the Rainbow Warriors 28-27. 

Football: Strong second-half defense secures Lobos' victory

For the second consecutive home game, New Mexico’s defense stepped up in the second half, eventually earning the team a late victory.

Head coach Bob Davie said the game was a lot like the New Mexico State game on Oct. 3, where the Lobos didn’t come out with enough fire in the first 30 minutes of play.

“This game reminds me so much of New Mexico State. In fact, I told my team that at halftime,” Davie said. “It was just eerily similar to New Mexico State, and I’m just glad it ended up the way it did. We just have to get better.”

In both contests the Lobos found themselves trailing on the way into the locker room, desperate to make some sort of stand to ignite the offense. Davie said that in both games the Lobos didn’t need to make any adjustments, but the squad needed to execute.

“I just said at halftime that it was personal. This is personal. I never use the word ‘embarrassing’ because guys play their butts off,” Davie said. “It was personal. We couldn’t cover them. The kid (running back Paul Harris) was running up and down the field on us.”

It was indeed a gloomy start for the Lobos. Hawaii had not yet scored a single point while playing on the road, but managed to take the opening drive down the field to score a touchdown.

Davie said the opening touchdown took the wind out of the Lobos’ sails. Even though wide receiver Carlos Wiggins was able to answer immediately with a 100-yard touchdown return to tie the game, Davie said the drive was detrimental.

The majority of the first half facilitated a lot of that same feeling of lackluster play on the defensive side. But the second half was a completely different story.

The Lobos seemed to have a chip on their shoulder after coming out of the locker room trailing 24-14.

Nickle corner Lee Crosby ignited the defense with an interception halfway through the third quarter. Although Crosby would later receive an excessive celebration flag, the Lobos were primed with good field position, later leading to an 11-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Lamar Jordan to running back David Anaya to bring the Lobos within striking distance, trailing 24-21.

“In the first half I wasn’t that focused,” Crosby said. “It just made me want to come out and do better because I know I can do better. In the second half we just came out focused and ready to play.”

Davie said the second-half triumph was about pride more than anything. The head coach said he told his players at halftime that Hawaii was having all of the fun and were dancing in the Lobos’ house.

The Lobos put an end to Hawaii’s offensive party by improving their execution. UNM only allowed three points in the entire second half. The Rainbow Warriors (2-5, 0-3 MW) only managed 139 yards against an enthusiastic Lobo defense.

New Mexico (4-3, 2-1 MW) desperately needed a stop late in the game for them to have any shot at a comeback. Hawaii managed to get well within field goal range, but UNM flexed at the goal line and watched place kicker Rigoberto Sanchez shank a field goal with 2:14 left on the clock.

Austin Apodaca replaced Lamar Jordan to lead the two-minute drive, after the Lobo stand inside the redzone.

The backup quarterback marched the Lobos down the field to take the first lead of the second half. However, he would ask his defense to make one last stand with 55 seconds left in the contest.

Crosby answered Apodaca’s request with his second interception of the contest in the final stage of the game, allowing Apodaca to take a knee.

“I think it was a big moment as a team just to finish a game like that. Not give up, you know; we were down a lot of the game,” Apodaca said.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at assistantsports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.