Men's basketball: Brown nets first MW player honors of the season

Elijah Brown made the most of his first games as a Lobo, and the Mountain West took notice.

Brown, a guard on the New Mexico men’s basketball team, earned Mountain West player of the week honors after the first weekend of action, the conference announced on Monday.

In his first two games since transferring to UNM and sitting out last season, Brown scored 16 points Friday against Texas Southern and another 31 Sunday at New Mexico State. In both games the Lobos scored more than 80 points.

Brown made 52 percent of his field goals in the two games and converted 15 of his 17 free throw attempts. He also averaged four assists with a 2.7 assist-to-turnover ratio.

He became the Lobos' first MW player of the week in Week One since Mark Walters in 2004.

Update on Devon William’s injury

Early Monday morning, the UNM Athletic Department sent an email saying Devon Williams endured a neck injury against the Aggies. He was carted off the court after collapsing midway through the second half.

Eugene Canal, the sports information director for men’s basketball, said in the email Williams had feeling in his extremities and was up walking around. Williams remained at the hospital overnight for observation, Canal said.

Williams took to social media to express his gratitude for the support he received after the injury.

“Thank you everyone for your concerns and keeping me in your prayers, it really means a lot to me,” Williams wrote on Twitter. “Much love to all of you!”

J.R. Oppenheim is the managing editor for the Daily Lobo. Contact him at managingeditor@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @JROppenheim.