Sophomore Sharon Coone lunges for the ball against a UTEP player at the McKinnon Family Tennis Center Sunday Nov. 1. The Women's tennis team will return in the spring after not qualifying for the UTSA/ITA.

Tennis: UNM leaves Lobo Invitational unscathed

The New Mexico women's team ended the Lobo Invitational Sunday they same way they began it: with a win.

The Lobos won all six singles matches against the University of Texas-El Paso, capping the weekend without a blemish in singles competition at the McKinnon Family Tennis Center.

“It’s similar to the format that we would be playing in the spring,” head coach Kelcy McKenna said. “For our three new (team members), it’s just nice to kind of get a taste for what it’s like.”

The new players include Freshman Ruth Copas from Dundalk, Ireland, transfers Andrea LeBlanc from Morehead State, and Ludivine Burguiere from Virginia Commonwealth. McKenna said bringing in three new people is a pretty big chunk since the team is so small.

Copas made quick work of both of her weekend singles matches with consistent and effective play. On Saturday she defeated NMSU’s Mia Brandt, and was victorious on Sunday over UTEP Dapne Visscher, winning both matches with the same scores in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0.

“I was hitting my forehand really well,” Copas said. “Kelcy talked to me about hitting my serves and I had a high percentage of first serves.”

McKenna said it was nice to get the results but said she needs to a better job starting. The head coach said it was very encouraging that the team is willing to work together and compete to win long points.

Sharon Coone was one of the players that got off to a shaky start and was unable to win the first game after going down 0-6 in the first set. She bounced back in a strong way, losing only three games the rest of the match, beating UTEP's Matilda Tench 0-6, 6-2, 6-1. Coone also beat NMSU’s Gabrielle Joyce on Saturday, 6-1, 6-3.

“(In the first set) I didn’t focus on what I needed to do,” Coone said. “Normally I have one to three goals in my head and I get it done. After the first set, I was just like…why? Go play tennis and do your thing.”

The final match of the event saw UNM’s Emily Olivier win a thriller against UTEP's Vivienne Kulicke. After losing the first set following a tiebreaker, Olivier took the second set and prevailed in the third set tiebreaker, winning the match 6-7, 6-2, 7-6.

The event marks the end of the fall season for the women’s team. McKenna said the team did not advance anyone to the USTA/ITA National Indoors.

McKenna said this is the first fall she has coached the team and the staff also includes a new assistant and volunteer. She said the fall season provided an opportunity to get a feel for the players, making sure they understand the game style, and to find out how to coach and interact with each of the players.

She said the team is made up of a great group and has made tremendous strides, meshing together quickly. They have a feel for how to compete with one another and feed off each other’s energy in order to be successful in the spring.

Robert Maler is a reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @robert_maler.