3/8_baseball

UNM baseball head coach Ray Birmingham gives a thumbs up after the Lobos defeated La Salle 17-4 during an April 2013 game at Isotopes Park. The Lobos didn’t commit an error during the game for the first time all season.

Baseball: Birm now a member of three halls

Entering his ninth season as UNM head coach, Ray Birmingham receives the New Mexico Sports Hall of Fame

UNM baseball head coach Ray Birmingham has been well-endowed as a firm believer in helping out the state of New Mexico.

The Land of Enchantment has honored the Hobbs native by electing Birmingham to the New Mexico Sports Hall of Fame on Saturday. He will be formally introduced as one of eight members inducted during a banquet on April 3, 2016.

“I’m humbled by the honor, I really am,” Birmingham said in a press release. “I’m proud of the great state of New Mexico. People from every corner of this state have helped me with baseball for over five decades. This is a great honor.

Birmingham is no stranger to hall of fames as he has been inducted to the National Junior College Athletic Association Hall of Fame and the Lea County Hall of Fame, where Birmingham grew up. On April 3, Birmingham will have his third hall of fame accolade.

“Coach Birmingham is very deserving of this honor,” UNM Vice President for Athletics Paul Krebs said in the release. “Not only is he a great ambassador for our state, but he is also one of the premier college baseball coaches in the country.”

After taking over as head coach for New Mexico baseball in 2008, Birmingham led the Lobos on a trip to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1962. During his eight full seasons as head coach Birmingham has made four such appearances.

The New Mexico native also received some national attention for his ability to produce sound hitting. Following the 2014 season, USA Baseball’s Collegiate National Team appointed Birmingham as the hitting coach, fielding some of the best collegiate players around the United States.

Birmingham will enjoy the formal introduction amidst the start of New Mexico’s 2016 campaign which begins on Feb. 19. The Lobos will make the first home-opening pitch on the newly named Santa Ana Star Field on Feb. 26.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on twitter @Liam_CE.