Men's Basketball: Director of Operations under investigation by UNM

UNM announced Tuesday afternoon that New Mexico Director of Operations for men’s basketball, Cody Hopkins, is on leave as the university undergoes an internal investigation for the use of his purchasing card.

The New Mexico Athletic Department is working together with UNM Internal Auditing to review Hopkins’ P-card, in a statement released by UNM Athletics.

“We are working closely with Internal Auditing in assessing recent transactions from Hopkins’ purchasing card,” Vice President for Athletics Paul Krebs said in a statement. “We are requesting additional documentation and records from Hopkins, who is cooperating with the process. Once the audit is complete, all records will be reviewed by the proper authorities.”

Hopkins was appointed to the position by head coach Craig Neal in September of 2014. According to golobos.com, “Hopkins oversees all team travel for the Lobos as well as help manage team academics, student managerial staff and community service projects.”

No further information regarding Hopkins’ P-card was disclosed in the release. The audit is expected to take several weeks as stated in the release.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on twitter @Liam_CE.