Photo takeover: Stories told through still images

Each semester the Daily Lobo photo desk take over an issue at the end of the semester to tell a story visually. Here is this semester's edition.

Exhibition exhibit by Di-Linh Hoang

UNM super senior Mo Elizabeth Fiebiger graduates in December with a bachelor of arts degree in studio arts and psychology. She decided to do an honors thesis for studio arts on the topic of vulnerabilities.

“When I did my show, I really wanted to embody that through artwork,” Fiebiger said.

Click here Di-Linh's photo story.

Hindi Thanksgiving by Biraj Rawal

Hinduism is a dominant religion in South Asia, most notably in Nepal and India. It is considered the world's third-largest religion by population after Christianity and Islam.

On the occasion of the Thanksgiving festival Thursday, Nepali UNM students were invited into the home of Sunil Thapa, who is resident of Albuquerque of Nepalese origin.

Although followers of Hinduism don’t celebrate Thanksgiving in a religious manner, most of the Nepali UNM students invited to the event enjoyed the celebration in a Nepali way. Participants enjoyed special Nepalese dishes, and the event concluded with dancing and playing cards.

Click here for Biraj's photo story.

Warming up for the winter by Hannah Glasgow

The New Mexico Ballet Company held dress rehearsals at Popejoy Hall on Nov. 25 and 27 for its performance of “The Nutcracker Ballet”. The ballet follows a young girl, Clara, played by 10-year-old Emma Cilke, whose Nutcracker comes to life and takes her on an adventure in another world.

American Ballet Theatre dancers Christine Shevchenko and Alexandre Hammoudi joined the production as the Sugar Plum Fairy and her Cavalier. Upcoming performances are in Popejoy Hall on Saturday at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.; and Sunday at 2 p.m.

Click here for Hannah's photo story.

Season of lights by Derek Toledo

The New Mexico River of Lights is a revered tradition for many people living in and visiting the Land of Enchantment. Starting originally in 1997, it has become a special yearly occurrence that offers live music, arts and crafts, a Polar Bear Express train and, of course, a river of lights. Displays include running animals, snowmen, luminarias and Snoopy.

This year’s presentation contains a total of 400 light sculptures. It will run from the end of November to the beginning of January.

Click here for Derek's photo story.

Football something by Nick Fojud

For the first time since 2007, the New Mexico football team is going to a bowl game. The Lobos also locked up their first winning season since 2007 with a 7-5 mark. Upsets against Utah State, Boise State and Air Force led them to where they are now.

Along the way the team suffered major highs and lows, from having the stadium roar during their comeback against Hawaii, to being knocked out of the Mountain West Championship game after playing Colorado State.

Click here for Nick's photo story.

Contact the Daily Lobo photo desk at photoeditor@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.