Letter: The media needs to be more honest about North Korea

Media repeatedly calls these nuclear explosions by North Korea “tests”. No, they are not just “testing.” That implies that maybe the tests failed. At least we should call them “successful tests.” That would paint a more realistic picture, and we will be successful in stopping these repeated successful explosions of these nukes with the media-viewing American public then more able to stand behind say further sanctions.

But on such matters, our jingoistic media downplays the power of other nations, especially those that have communist governments, currently crying out, “Oh, that was no hydrogen bomb.” Discounting, discounting, discounting. More broadly, a lot of these nations have dictators that are very sensitive to being “disrespected.” It makes them look bad to their own people, and Kim is no exception.

Thus, we should not have been surprised when our media got all high and mighty when Hollywood made fun of him in a political satire no less,and then he retaliated effectively with cyberwar. By now North Korea feels like a cornered rat, with the big fat cat which is America applying the screws more and more. So their paranoia is all the more when we show as we are now doing that we don’t take them seriously.

Sincerely,

Arun Ahuja

UNM student