Letter: Journalists report on fluff rather than substance

I, like many of the students at UNM, have read the Daily Lobo on a fairly regular basis over the past several years of my education. I am increasingly frustrated with the articles and spin that emanates from our future journalists. I have finally reached my limit with the articles that were published on the 21st of January, 2016.

It is in my humble opinion that we need to discuss some of the larger issues in our world today, rather than the fluff I perpetually see coming from the department. Why are your journalists not asking the ever-present philosophical question of why? Why is there no longer money for the lottery scholarship? Why do we have an entire nine month class on how to integrate the multitudes of refugees when we can’t even take care of our own homeless and veterans?

As far as I see it, we no longer have money for the lottery scholarship because our economy is in the worst state it has been since the great depression, our labor participation rate is the lowest since the 1970’s, our middle class is being crushed by socialistic agendas (two wolves and a sheep voting on what is for dinner), world trade has ground to a halt as seen in the Baltic Dry Index, and we are increasingly lied to by our media outlets and politicians.

The refugee crisis is extremely disheartening, but why aren’t we asking who started the wars in the Middle East? Who funded, protected, armed and allowed Al-Qaeda and IS to recruit? Why are so many of the countries in the Middle East and Africa in disarray?

Most importantly, why are the people who allowed this to happen not in prison for the deaths of millions of Middle Eastern men, women and children? Why is Louis Farrakhan saying that Donald Trump is right, and we need to halt Muslim immigration because we have no way to properly vet them? Why are over 70 percent of “refugees” military-age males, with such a small minority being Christians (the most persecuted group)? Why is Europe in a state of collapse with multitudes of rapes, riots and murders directly related to the refugee influx?

Please stop trying to sell globalist agendas by putting a fluffy spin on things without looking at the root cause. Your journalists have plenty of real stories to write about and your readers deserve to know the truth of what is happening in the world around them.

Sincerely,

Justin Davis

UNM student