Column: ASUNM here to help with new scholarships

Education matters. Yet no matter how worthwhile we all know it to be, it doesn’t make the process of becoming educated any easier. And as if cramming for tests and writing essays into the night weren’t tasking enough, as students we have to balance that with the pressures of a social life, health and figuring out what we want to do for the rest of our lives.

Moreover, while doing all of that and more, we have to find a way to be as fiscally responsible as possible. I mean, it is honestly enough of a balancing act to create a mid-life crisis. ASUNM can’t help you with all of that, but we can help with some of it. We can’t tell you what your dream job should be or where your life will go, but what we can do, we are. We are helping fund your academic journey as you figure it all out.

Last year my team and I ran with the hopes of making education more accessible for students, and after some serious number crunching we have successfully found another way to do just that. This semester ASUNM will be giving eight scholarships to undergraduate students ranging in value from $500 to $1,000. The first of those is a scholarship for students in need of support who show demonstrated academic commitment. This scholarship is $1,000 and already available in the ASUNM office on the front table.

We want to help you in any way we can. Please help us by staying up to date with our column and social media presence, as we will continue to advertise the upcoming scholarships via these avenues. Life can be difficult, but let us help in whatever ways we can. As always, feel free to email me at asunmvp@unm.edu with any questions you have about the scholarships or anything else ASUNM is spearheading.

Alex Cervantes is the ASUNM vice president for the 2015-2016 school year.