Women's Basketball: Lobos face big test against nationally ranked CSU

By Liam Cary-Eaves

Saying that Colorado State has not fared well at WisePies Arena would be an understatement. In Albuquerque, the Rams have tallied only a single win at the mile-high venue dating back to 1998.

However, this year, CSU (24-1, 14-0 MW) has remained unscathed in conference play and has rallied off 21 consecutive wins. Oh, and the Rams have joined the nation’s top 25 because of it.

“If these games aren’t fun to you then you shouldn’t be playing,” head coach Yvonne Sanchez said. “They should be fun.”

The head coach added that the days leading up to playing a ranked opponent are not glamorous, all the way until the opening tip-off. The two teams square off Wednesday night at WisePies Arena.

“The preparation for a game like this isn’t fun sometimes because you want to be perfect and your kids are on edge a little bit,” Sanchez said. “Just the anticipation of going out and having some fun. You’re playing against a ranked opponent; this will be a fun time.”

No. 25 CSU has dismantled its opponents, garnering a winning margin of 18.4 points on average.

Just two teams in the Mountain West have been able to lose by less than two possessions against the streaking Rams. SJSU lost by a final count of 80-78 on Jan. 27, and Wyoming fell 62-57 on Saturday. Both were road games for Colorado State.

For UNM, Sanchez said controlling the Rams potent offense, which scores 70.3 points per contest (second best in the MW), will be a key component to whether or not the Lobos can pull off an upset.

Guard Jayda Bovero, who has recently been getting accustomed to a starting spot in the rotation, says that she attained her place in the lineup primarily because of her ability to rebound and play sound defense.

“My role is clear, it’s black and white now,” Bovero said. “I know that I need to bring energy, I know that it’s my job to play good defense and to grab rebounds.”

Sanchez said the Lobos will be forced to press, an area the team has found success with during UNM's two-game winning streak. However, the head coach said the Rams offense, particularly their passing, is something the Lobos will need to be weary of.

“They’re really good at running their offense. If you give them a lot of time on the shot clock to turn you over several times, you get lost,” Sanchez said. “If we can tempo it a little bit and not give them so much time, then who knows.”

Sanchez said the Lobos were able to make a statement with a win at Boise State on Feb. 17. The Lobos then proceeded to blow out the visiting Air Force Falcons in anticipation for the nationally ranked Colorado State squad.

“Not only beating a Colorado State who hasn’t lost in league and is very, very good, but to beat the best team in your league, it could maybe raise some eyebrows,” she said. “Not only for the league but for our players.”

For Bovero, tip-off can’t come soon enough. She said the squad is ready to make a move and end Colorado State’s streak.

“I know there’s going to be a lot of people, and The Pit is a great environment,” Bovero said. “We’re set up to beat them.”

Barring a major collapse, CSU pretty much has the conference locked up. However, the game has major implications for the Lobos as they are still fighting for a first round bye.

“For us, where we sit, it breaks every tie breaker that’s even with us,” Sanchez said. “There’s such a log jam at where we’re at that it could also get us behind.”

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.