Letter: ASUNM biased against student groups

I’m writing this as the state chair and chapter president of Young Americans for Liberty at the University of New Mexico. Recently, Young Americans for Liberty, along with the Young Americans for Freedom and UNM College Republicans, sponsored a resolution in the Student Senate that would have recommended to change UNM Policy to allow students on campus to defend themselves with stun guns.

Although this common sense resolution did not pass, what really infuriated myself and numerous members of Young Americans for Liberty that were in the media and gallery seating during the debate on the issue, was a statement made by ASUNM Senator and Finance Committee Chairman Justin Cooper.

Cooper exclaimed that our groups, Young Americans for Liberty, Young Americans for Freedom and the College Republicans do not matter. How dare a sitting student senator tasked with representing the student population decide who matters and who doesn’t?

Sen. Cooper has made a statement in an open debate that shows his inability to objectively represent student organizations. As a student senator, and especially as the the finance chairman, Cooper’s inability to remain impartial is questionable.

Will Young Americans for Liberty, Young Americans for Freedom and the College Republicans not matter when it comes time for our budget hearings?

Young Americans for Liberty, UNM’s largest and most active conservative student organization, is openly calling for Senator Justin Cooper’s resignation. We need student senators who realize every student organization matters, regardless of political ideology or size of the student groups. Shame on Senator Cooper.

Sincerely,

Michael A. Aguilar

State ChairYoung Americans for Liberty