Marissa Archuleta

Marissa Archuleta

Five and Why: Marissa Archuleta

Busy students who also work on campus don’t always have time to get through a book during the semester, so many of them enjoy watching movies instead. Marissa Archuleta, a sophomore communications and journalism and criminology double major who works in the Student Activities Center, said she enjoys using that time to watch ‘80s chick flicks, or other “girly movies.”

1. “Sixteen Candles” directed by John Hughes

“Molly Ringwald is one of my favorite actresses. And it’s one of my mom’s favorite movies, so we always bond (by) watching girly movies like this together. (My favorite part is) when her and her crush get together at the end.”

2. “Pretty in Pink” directed by Howard Deutch

“Molly Ringwald is also the main actress in that. It’s your typical chick flick with a girl caught between two boys. I really like the movie because she picks the guy that no one sees her with, and it’s just not what you would expect from the movie.

3. “Dirty Dancing” directed by Emile Ardolino

“This is my all-time favorite. I can’t even count how many times I’ve watched it since I was a little girl with my mom. I actually got to meet Patrick Swayze because he had a vacation home in my hometown (of Las Vegas, New Mexico) that was close to my home. After I met him, it became one of my favorite movies even more. It’s a classic.”

4. “Mean Girls” directed by Mark Waters

“It’s just hilarious, and it’s pretty popular. I can quote so many lines from it. It’s just a movie that me and my best friends have watched together since we were little, and we can quote it together. (My favorite quote) would probably be, ‘that’s so fetch.’”

5. “13 Going On 30” directed by Gary Winick

“It’s one of my favorites because, like I said, I’m a ‘80s junkie, and that movie kind of goes back to the ‘80s and then on to modern day. And Jennifer Garner is one of my favorite actresses. She’s really funny in this movie.”

Skylar Griego is a culture reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @TDLBooks.