Baseball: Collegiate Baseball Newspaper puts UNM in top-25

New Mexico has gotten off to a scorching start in the 2016 campaign, and is receiving national attention because of it.

Per the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper, the Lobos are now ranked amongst the top 25, coming in at No. 24 to start the week.

UNM’s offense has been absolutely dominant in the early stages of the season, scoring at least six runs in each of their six wins. The only time the Lobos’ offense has failed to score more than four runs came in a 4-3 loss to Hawaii, a game that saw 11 innings of play.

New Mexico is batting a remarkable .331 at the dish, (36th in the nation) and slugging .514 (25th).

While the offensive fire power has been highlighted in the early stages this season, UNM’s starters have been exceptional.

The four starters - Carson Schneider, Tyler Stevens, James Harrington and Colton Thomson - have combined for 41 total innings pitched, producing a sound 2.63 ERA between the four of them. The quality innings from the starters have produced a 6-0 record, the only loss coming off a no-decision from Tyler Stevens back on Feb. 20 in the 11-inning game against Hawaii.

The Lobos will remain at home this weekend against Dallas Baptist. The first of the three-game series is set to begin Friday at 6 p.m.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.