Sophomore Luis Gonzalez rounds third base on his way to home plate Sunday, March 6, 2016 at Santa Ana Star Field. The Lobos will play Nevada this upcoming weekend in Reno. 

Baseball: Lobos snap skid, take series at Nevada

Just a weekend after being swept by Dallas Baptist, the Lobos had a chance on Sunday to the same against Nevada.

Although the Lobos couldn’t win the final game in Reno, Nevada, UNM took the conference opening series by winning two of the three games against the Wolfpack.

Sophomore Carl Stajduhar led UNM’s comeback attempt in Sunday’s 7-6 loss by hitting a three-run shot in a four-run fourth inning, his fourth long ball of the year. Stajduhar ended up with four of UNM’s six RBIs.

New Mexico’s defense has been less than superb to begin the year, recording two errors in the eight innings the defense saw the field.

Colton Thomson (1-1) was tabbed with the loss, being chased out of the contest allowing six runs, four of which were earned, in just 3.2 innings pitched.

Four Lobos collected at least two hits in the contest, as Chris DeVito, Jack Zoellner, and Michael Eaten joined Stajduhar in hitting at least .500 in the final game of the series. Both DeVito and Stajduhar went yard and doubled in the contest.

DeVito has been on a tear to open the season, hitting a cool .453 in all 14 games he has started. The DH/catcher is slugging .792 and his seven walks have put his on base percentage to .517. DeVito has also homered four times.

Thought the Lobos have seen a lot of success with their patience at the plate, Trenton Brooks (1-2) held the club to just one walk in the series finale, going five full innings allowing five runs, just two of which were earned.

Despite walking just one time, the Lobos still plated six runs, helped by DeVito and Stajduhar’s homers.

In the first game of the series, New Mexico’s offense plated eight runs in an 8-3 victory over the Wolfpack (5-10, 1-4 MW). The victory snapped a four-game skid for the Lobos after being swept by Dallas Baptist and losing a mid-week game against NMSU in El Paso, Texas.

In the second game against Nevada, UNM won behind the arm of southpaw Tyler Stevens (2-1) who threw a gem going 7.2 innings allowing just two runs on six hits. The three runs were the fewest New Mexico (8-6, 2-1 MW) have scored in a victory all year.

UNM remains on the road in its return to nonconference play. The Lobos will face off against Grand Canyon in Phoenix, Arizona for a two-game midweek series.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.