Senior outfielder Mariah Rimmer slides into third base Saturday afternoon at the Lobo Softball Field. The Lobos beat Northern Colorado in their first out of two game series 7-3.

Softball: Lobos open home slate with two wins

The New Mexico softball team captured two wins in a home-opening doubleheader against Northern Colorado on Saturday afternoon.

The Lobos (10-7) struck first in both games, resulting in a 7-3 victory in Game One and a 8-3 win in the second contest. New Mexico looks to complete a three-game sweep when both teams play Sunday. First pitch is 10 a.m.

Game One

UNM found some potent offense in the opener with 12 hits, including a 3-for-3 effort from left fielder Brooke Breland. She also had two runs scored and two RBIs.

Three other Lobos – center fielder Mariah Rimmer, third baseman Jasmine Casados and designated hitter Tess McPherson – went 2-for-4 at the plate. McPherson also scored two runs of her own.

New Mexico built a 4-0 lead through three innings until Northern Colorado brought two runs home in the top of the fourth inning. The Lobos added three more runs in the fourth and fifth to cushion their lead.

Collette Robert recorded her fourth pitching victory this season in six innings of work. She surrendered three earned runs on four hits, striking out three Bears. Krissy Fortner threw one inning of relief.

Game Two

Rimmer and Casados continued their effective plate appearances in the nightcap. Rimmer was a perfect 3-for-3 with two runs scored and an RBI, while Casados plated two runs and four RBIs on a 2-for-4 performance.

Leading 2-0 in the fourth, the Lobos’ offense erupted in the fifth with five runs. It proved helpful after Northern Colorado scored three six-inning runs.

In five innings in the circle, McPherson gave up three earned runs on six hits with a strikeout. Lauren Soles entered the game for two innings; she had three hits and a strikeout.

J.R. Oppenheim is the assistant sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers men’s basketball and women’s soccer. Contact him at assistantsports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @JROppenheim.