Lobo Senior, Colton Thomson, leaves the pitcher's mound after handing over the pitching position to Senior Drew Bridges at the bottom of the 6th inning of the Lobo v. DBU game on Sunday, March 6th 2016. The Lobos lost, 12 -11.

Baseball: Lobos swept less than a week after jumping among nation's best

Less than a week after entering the nation’s top 25, the Lobos couldn’t generate a win and have fallen out of the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper’s national rankings.

Dallas Baptist completed a sweep over New Mexico this weekend and, as a result, have now entered the nation’s elite teams.

The Lobos nearly avoided the sweep on Sunday afternoon, after jumping out to a quick 11-2 lead in the final game of the three-game series.

However, after giving up five runs in five innings, New Mexico’s bullpen couldn’t finish the job for starting pitcher Colton Thomson (1-1).

Following a one-run fourth inning, the Lobo offense went dormant after putting up 11 runs, while DBU (8-3) continued to plate runners, eventually scoring the winning run on a wild pitch to cap a remarkable 12-11 comeback win for the Patriots. 

“You get 11 runs, you expect to win,” head coach Ray Birmingham said. “You score eight runs (like we did yesterday) against a team of that caliber and you should win.”

While the Lobo coach was disgruntled with the pitching staff, Birmingham gave credit to the Patriots’ talent as a team for providing excellent competition resulting in offensive firepower from both squads in the series' final two games. He said that is why they received the invite to play at Santa Ana Star Field.

"This is why we wanted to play DBU,” Birmingham said in a release following Friday’s loss. “We want to try and reach their level. That is an excellent ballclub.”

Despite the loss, Sunday’s game provided consistent performances by New Mexico’s two, three and four hitters. Shortstop Dalton Bowers collected two hits, scored three times and picked up an RBI in the process.

Centerfielder Luis Gonzalez picked up three hits, plating two, and scoring twice out of the three spot. Chris DeVito also continued his hitting tear going 4-for-5, hitting in two and scoring twice himself.

The Lobos will look to turn its pitching woes around on Tuesday as the squad heads to El Paso to take on NMSU. Opening pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.

While New Mexico (6-4) still has non-conference games mixed in with MW play, the Aggies will be the game before UNM takes on a conference opponent.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.