The Lobos congregate at the pitcher's mound Tuesday afternoon at Santa Ana Star Field. The Lobos lost to the Red Raiders 7-4 Tuesday afternoon but rebounded to beat them with a walk-off on Wednesday afternoon, ending the game 6-5.

Baseball: Lobos split two-game set with Red Raiders

Late game doubles from the bottom half of the lineup fueled New Mexico in a 6-5 win over No. 7 Texas Tech on Wednesday afternoon.

While the bullpen was dominant in the final contest of the two-game midweek series, the Lobos’ win was highlighted in walk-off fashion.

UNM’s offense was dormant for the majority of the contest, but thanks to clutch extra-base hits by pinch hitter Michael Eaton and Dalton Bowers, the Lobos were able to avoid a season sweep at the hands of the Red Raiders (30-10).

Slugger Chris DeVito got the Lobos going in the bottom of the ninth inning with a one-out double to right field to set up Michael Eaton. Eaton started the day off on the bench but walked up to the plate in just his second at-bat of the contest.

Taking Jared Holley’s place at second base, Eaton ripped a line drive over the first baseman’s head to tie the contest up at 5-5 with two outs in the bottom of the ninth.

With momentum on its side, New Mexico entered extra innings after trailing by as much as four runs at one point.

Shortstop Dalton Bowers delivered the final blow for the Lobos (27-12, 14-4 MW). Andre Vigil was able to jumpstart UNM’s offense with a single through the left side of the infield, setting the stage for Bowers.

It set up an adequate opportunity for Bowers to collect his only hit and RBI on the day.

With one down, Bowers sent a screamer to the gap in right-center field in the bottom of the tenth, bringing home Vigil who was greeted by his teammates at home plate.

“That’s pretty cool for us and New Mexico,” head coach Ray Birmingham said, alluding to Bowers and Vigil both being local products.

UNM was able to chip away at the Red Raider lead with the help of superb pitching from the relievers.

While James Harrington didn’t have an ideal outing, giving up four runs in just four innings pitched, six relievers combined to give up only one run in the remaining six innings of play.

New Mexico has been accustomed to big innings throughout the 2016 campaign, but in Wednesday’s contest it was consistency that won the game.

Aside from a two-run bottom of the fifth, the Lobos didn’t score more than one run in any other frame.

The Lobos had fallen to Texas Tech in the previous two meetings this season. In Lubbock, Texas, New Mexico lost to the Red Raiders 14-10, followed by Tuesday night’s loss 7-4 as the bullpen blew a 4-4 tie in the top of the ninth inning.

Alex Estrella (2-1) picked up the win for UNM for his inning of work in the 10th. Estrella threw 27 pitches, allowing two walks while striking out one to garner his three outs.

The Lobos will return to league play on Friday night against San Diego State in a three-game stand against the Aztecs. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m. on Friday night.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.