DJ Nicolatron will be part of an all female DJ line up at Sister Bar this Thursday as part of an event title Lady Bass.

Lady Bass event to highlight female DJs tonight

For electronic dance music fans who are all about that bass music, EPIC has got just the show for you.

EPIC Events, a local promotion company, will debut a new series called Lady Bass, a monthly performance put on to spotlight Albuquerque’s female DJs, at Sister Bar on Thursday.

Aaron Lara, the owner of EPIC, said Lady Bass is a spin-off of the EPIC & Friends series, which has been hosted at Effex over the last year, with the focus placed on local female artists.

He said EPIC & Friends, which is how the company got started, was a monthly performance of an all-local show made up of any DJs he could find and ask to play.

“This year, I’m starting to book these headliners... but there’s not a lot of dates available anymore,” Lara said. “I kind of had to phase out one of the series, so I just decided, ‘why not an all-female show’ and I called it Lady Bass.”

He said the name came from the popular term “bass” used to describe DJs’ music and he felt adding “lady” to it encompassed what the series is about.

Lara said he wants to present the performances for the series every month, but it all depends on how much support the series gets from the DJs and listeners in the community. He said he hopes to give female DJs across the state a place to showcase their talent in front of a good crowd and just have fun.

“I think by providing a show solely for women, it’s going help them get more slots across the many shows that are being done here in Albuquerque,” he said. “There’s plenty of other promoters, but I’m not seeing a lot of female talent being put into music shows. They just need to be heard, and that’s what this series is going to do.”

Nicole Candelaria, who will is headlining Lady Bass as DJ Nicolatron, said she is looking forward to being a part of Lady Bass for her first time working with EPIC.

“I love being involved in shows that showcase female-identified DJs and musicians,” she said. “I’m a part of a female collective called Homegirls Records where DJs artists and vendors come together and support one another, and have performed for Gates y Vatas, a [local] all female-identified festival.”

Candelaria said she doesn’t define the music she plays as any one genre, but she plans to play “G-house, Soulful Tech-House, laced with some Acid House,” at Sister for the event.

“As long as booties are shaking, I’m a happy robot,” she said.

Skylar Griego is a culture reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.