Letter: I drink no booze

I drink no booze. Booze has devastated the lives of many of my friends. Booze causes car crashes, paralyzing and killing thousands, including my niece Rachel. Booze causes awful family fights, ruined romances, horrible holiday memories ... I do not want to make it easier for me to say or do things I later terribly regret. Men wake up in jail not remembering stabbing their wife or buddy while drunk the night before.

Booze causes potbellies, early aging, wasted paychecks ... Booze harms the whole body – heart, blood vessels, kidneys, liver, stomach, brain, nerves.

Many who strike and protest for higher wages blow a day’s wages each week on the liquid poison booze!

Booze lowers the sex hormone testosterone, causing men to be less horny, less able to get firm erections, less likely to orgasm readily – why would sex-loving persons like me consume something that lowers our sex hormone?

If the most good-looking man in town has to drink booze to drown his shame and guilt in order to make love with me, my answer is, “No, thanks.”

Booze lowers immunity to disease. Booze increases the risk of catching V.D. from an infected partner.

Many smart, hard-working people start out as social drinkers and end up sick, lonely alcoholics dying young.

Musicians – STOP singing words glamorizing booze! Community leaders – set a public example. Live sober – boycott all booze!

Imagine if all the money USAans spend on booze were given to help homeless children worldwide! Imagine if all the land used to grow grapes and grain to make booze were used instead to grow healthy food for hungry people.

I enjoy deep conversations, hugging men and women friends, dancing up a storm and I drink no booze!

Don Schrader

Daily Lobo reader