Junior pitcher Carson Schneider walks off the field after closing an inning against Fresno State Friday April 8, 2016 at Santa Ana Star Field. Schneider was named Mountain West Pitcher of the Week for his gem. 

Baseball: DeVito and Schneider sweep Mountain West weekly accolades

When two teams are locked up in a first place showdown mid-season, it is normally a time for big-time players to shine.

This week, two New Mexico players received all-conference honors for their performances, which contributed to a sweep over Fresno State last weekend.

Junior DH/catcher Chris DeVito has been named the Mountain West Player of the Week for the second time this season, the last coming on Feb. 29. Junior southpaw Carson Schneider was also honored with Mountain West Pitcher of the Week, his first time reaching that mark in the 2016 campaign. 

“This is a well-deserved honor,” head coach Ray Birmingham said in a UNM release. “Both of these players are great examples of the player development at UNM.”

When DeVito was asked about another potential player of the week accolade following Sunday’s victory, he said it was out of his hands, and the lineup around him is what should be highlighted following the Fresno State sweep.

DeVito hit .579 last week (11 for 19), scoring six times and collecting eight RBIs. He reached base in each of the four games, and also hit three home runs. Of DeVito’s eight RBIs, five were game-tying or go-ahead knocks in the seventh inning or later.

Back in March, Birmingham said DeVito was a player out of California who people had looked past. The coach said he was glad he landed in New Mexico because DeVito has “big-league talent”.

For Schneider, his work on Friday in the opening game of the series against Fresno State warranted recognition from the conference.

His 8.1 innings of one-run ball set the tone for New Mexico in the 2-1 victory over the visiting Bulldogs to give the Lobos sole possession of first place.

Schneider allowed just five hits and three walks while fanning six as he nearly pitched his first complete game.

Though the award goes to the most outstanding conference player that week, Schneider and DeVito have also helped push the Lobos into a commanding first place lead and helped the Lobos win eight of their last nine games.

The Lobos next trip will be to California where they will play a single game against both Santa Clara and San Francisco, before returning to conference play against San Jose State.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.