Baseball: New Mexico falls 13-7 against Santa Clara

Just days after New Mexico took down Fresno State to claim the top spot in the Mountain West, UNM got off to a rough start in its trip to California on Tuesday night.

In the mid-week game against Santa Clara, New Mexico starter/leadoff hitter Luis Gonzalez (2-1) ran into quite a bit of trouble early in the contest, as the club fell 13-7.

In his 1.2 innings of work, the lefty allowed seven runs, all earned, on six hits and two walks. Though his day on the rubber was over quickly, the center fielder remained in the game, this time as New Mexico’s designated hitter.

He would triple for his only hit of the day.

After allowing three runs in the first inning, the Lobos bounced back quickly scoring two runs in the top of the second to even up the score 3-3.

However, that just wasn’t enough as the Broncos came back with four more runs in the bottom half of the second to take a 7-3 lead against UNM.

Santa Clara’s starter, Travis Howard was pulled early in the contest going three full innings, reaching 72 pitches. Though he left the game with a 7-3 advantage, it was reliever Peter Hendron (1-2) who garnered the win for the Broncos.

Hendron threw three shutout innings on the day allowing two hits and two walks while striking out three.

The Broncos (15-16) would collect 15 hits, a season high, in addition to matching a 2016 high with 13 runs in just six innings of play.

Trailing 13-3 in the eighth inning, UNM showcased its offensive fire power as they put up a four-spot in the top of the inning, but a ten-run deficit was far too much for the Lobos who fell to 23-10 in the nonconference loss.

Dalton Bowers stole the show out of the nine-hole for UNM. The shortstop was a perfect 3 for 3 at the plate and collected two doubles against Bronco pitching. Bowers collected two RBIs and scored twice for New Mexico in his three plate appearances.

UNM will remain in California as they continue non-league play against San Francisco at 3 p.m. MT.