Junior infielder Jasmine Casados tries to tag out a Utah State player Saturday March 25, 2016 at the Lobo Softball Field. The Lobos lost two out of their three games against Nevada this past weekend. 

Softball: Last inning rally prevents sweep

Lobos score two runs in the top of the seventh in a 3-2 victory in series finale

New Mexico ended its weekend series with Nevada on a high note, avoiding a three game sweep by winning Sunday’s contest 3-2.

After being shut out on Saturday and scoring a lone run on Friday, the Lobos were finally able to get things going at the plate with a late rally against the Wolf Pack.

In a game which at times looked reminiscent of Saturday’s shutout loss, UNM struggled to bring runners in scoring position home. The Lobos left runners on base in the third, fourth and fifth innings.

The tide would change, however, as senior Mariah Rimmer opened up the scoreboard for the Lobos in the top of the sixth inning with a leadoff home run - her fifth of the season - over the centerfield wall, breaking the scoreless tie 1-0.

Nevada would answer back in the bottom half of the sixth as Jennifer Purcell doubled with one out, and then Melissa Arriaga doubled bringing in Purcell and tying the game up at 1 apiece.

Pinch hitter Amanda Weis hit a line drive down the third base line allowing Arriaga to score and putting the Wolf Pack up 2-1 in the late stages of the game.

Brooke Breland walked to start the seventh inning, and then junior shortstop Shelbie Franc singled with 1 out. With two runners on, freshman Cheyenne Smith bunted and made it safely to first.

With the bases loaded, junior shortstop Michala Erickson doubled to center field, bringing the runners on second and third home and giving New Mexico a 3-2 lead.

The Lobos were able to close things out and improve to 18-14 (3-3 MW) on the season as Colette Robert finished the complete game.

“We needed to show some fight in that situation and we finally stringed some things together,” said head coach Erica Beach. “I saw some grittiness in our team that we were lacking, and I’m proud of their fight.”

Robert (8-6) had herself a strong showing on the mound Sunday, allowing just two earned runs, hits, a walk and two strike outs in her seven innings of work.

Shelbie Franc led all Lobo hitters going 3-for-3, including scoring the go ahead run in the seventh.

New Mexico will face another tough challenge this weekend as the team will be back home against Fresno State (24-9-1) which holds a perfect 6-0 in Mountain West record. The series will open on Friday at 6 p.m. at Lobo Softball Field.

Wally Gallart is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @wallyagallart.