The Lobos meet at the mound on Saturday May 28, 2016 at Santa Ana Star Field. The Lobos lost to Texas Tech Saturday afternoon 4-3, and will have to win twice on Sunday to advance to the Super Regional. 

Baseball: Bullpen squanders Stevens' gem, club must win two

New Mexico will have to fight through the loser’s bracket if the club wants a chance to move to the super regionals for the first time in the program's history. 

Following sophomore right-hander Tyler Stevens’ gem, the Lobo bullpen squandered a 3-1 lead, putting UNM on the ropes following Saturday night’s 4-3 loss.

Stevens was remarkable, allowing two runs (one earned) in 7.1 innings while striking out seven and walking four. Though the starting pitcher remained strong late in the contest, his pitch count of 132 was high enough for head coach Ray Birmingham to relieve his game two starter.

For Texas Tech, Steven Gingery had a tough day on the hill, lasting just three innings and allowing three runs. But the Red Raiders’ bullpen was lights out in the final six innings of play, which kept the squad in the game despite trailing for the majority of the contest.

Jared Mang’s two-run homerun in the third inning highlighted the Lobos offensive attack, followed by Luis Gonzalez swiping home on a wild pitch in the fourth.

The Lobos couldn’t get its offense to produce another run on the night, but with the way Stevens was pitching, it didn’t appear that it had to.

Senior Alex Estrella relieved Stevens with one down in the bottom of the eighth inning, to get his sole batter. Birmingham decided that was the only person Estrella would face and then signaled for freshman Christian Tripp to come out of the bullpen, who had been a sound performer for the Lobos for the majority of the postseason.

However, Tripp ran into some trouble in Saturday night’s appearance. He would finally work out of the eighth inning, but not before a Ryan Long pinch-hit two-RBI single evened up the contest late in the game.

The Lobos couldn’t respond to Tech’s big inning in the top of the eighth, going down quietly in the bottom half of the inning.

On a 3-2 count, Stephen Smith opened up the top of the ninth with an opposite field homer that sailed over the right field fence.

First baseman Jack Zoellner tried to start a 2-oout rally in the ninth inning. He reached first base when Austin Bell came in to pinch run for the junior.

However, the choice to bring speed on the bases didn’t work out for the Lobos as Bell was picked off of first before Mang had a chance to bring him in.

"Texas Tech has one of the most impressive bullpens we’ve seen,” Birmingham said in a statement. “The arms that they ran out tonight were impressive. We are going to have to come out tomorrow with zeroes on the board with a pulse and a chance.”

The Lobos will be taking on Dallas Baptist for the second time in the regionals. The Lobos were able to outscore the Patriots 12-6 in the opening round of the tournament.

If UNM advances past DBU, they will have to turn around and beat Texas Tech right after that contest.

Junior lefty Carson Schneider will get the nod for UNM and first pitch is slated for 1 p.m. MT.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.