Junior midfielder Claire Lynch fires a shot over a Eastern New Mexico goal keeper Sunday August 14, 2016 at the UNM Soccer Complex. The Lobos tied Weber State 0-0 and will play Idaho State Sunday September 4, 2016.

Women's Soccer: Abundance of Lobo shots can't find back of the net

New Mexico put on a shooting clinic in its trip to Weber State on Friday afternoon, but to no avail in a 0-0 tie to Weber State.

Right off the bat, the Lobos began to threaten Weber State (1-1-1) by ripping off three shots – two on goal – but couldn't get passed the danger zone.

Though the final score read 0-0, the box score told a different story.

UNM was able to out-shoot the Wildcats 22-8 and 7-4 with shots on goal. The Lobos had their opportunities coming out of the corner with eight kicks to Weber State’s one.

Both teams were called offsides one time in the contest.

In Friday’s game, the Lobos (1-2-1) continuously stopped the flow of the game by recording 16 fouls, compared to Weber State’s six.

Gwen Maly led the Lobo attack, and the game, coming off the bench with five total shots. She alongside Jennifer Muñoz (3), Quincy Slora (2), Maddie Irwin (2), Claire Lynch (2) and Eileen Zendejas (4) were all part of the UNM attack with multiple shots.

Madison Garlock (4) and Morgan Quarnberg (2) were the only players for Weber State to have multiple shots. Garlock was the only player to have multiple shots on target with a pair that fell into UNM goalkeeper Tayler Hammack’s arms.

Offensively, the Lobos are shooting 14.5 shots per game compared to opponents’ 12.5. However, both UNM and their foes are averaging 1.5 goals per game.

The Lobos are now in the final half of their seven game road trip. To start out the season, head coach Heather Dyche created a schedule which started the 2016-2017 campaign away from home for nearly an entire month, and two of the first four games were against ranked opponents.

Game five of the stretch on the road will take place in Pocatello, Idaho to take on the Idaho State Bengals (2-3-0).

Hammack and the UNM defense will have its hands full with the Bengal attack which is being led by two freshmen forwards in the very early stages of the season. Michaela Didericksen and Brooke Kortekaas lead Idaho State with two goals apiece, the only players with multiple goals on the squad.

UNM’s five goals of the year have all come from different players and the Lobos have been shutout in two of the first four games of the season.

First touch is scheduled for 11 a.m.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.