Best movies to watch on Halloween

These classic Halloween movies range from cute and nostalgic to mature and consistently frightening for people of all ages. Enjoy one of these fun or scary movies to set your Halloween mood.

Beetlejuice

Tim Burton has always had a creative way to tell creepily funny stories. “Beetlejuice” is no exception. This classic came out in 1988 and is still a hit today, and fall is the perfect time to watch this film. “Beetlejuice” is a creepy and funny movie — light-hearted in some ways, mature in others — which is a great Halloween combination.

Hocus Pocus

Witches have always had a bad reputation, and these witches are truly evil. This movie will keep you on the edge of your seat just from the intensity of what these witches can get away with.

“Hocus Pocus” offers a new spin on witches that is quirky yet chilling.

Ghostbusters

Each entry in this franchise — whether it’s the classic ‘80s films or the newly-released, gender-switching sequel-reboot — is an innovative way to look at how people view ghosts, and how we would be able to catch them.

If unsure of which one to watch first, start with the original — it provides more background and inside jokes to the 2016 version. Whichever one you choose to watch, though, you can expect a combination of light-hearted humor and fictional drama about catching ghosts.

It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

Going trick-or-treating is something one must grow out of, but this fun cartoon will bring back all the great memories. It’s a short yet entertaining film that will make you laugh.

Watch when you are short on time and need to get your costume ready for the Halloween party you are attending.

Halloween

This horror film is full of climactic events throughout to keep you on your toes. If you want to get scared on Halloween night, this is the missing piece to your exciting night, though I wouldn’t recommend watching the film alone...unless you are ready to sleep with the lights on.

E.T.

Finding that person that you can connect with like no other is what this alien movie is about.

Spending Halloween with an alien can be just as hard as sharing your Reese’s Pieces with him. “E.T.” is a fun ‘80s movie that has been able to consistently bring humor and tears out of moviegoers over the decades.

Watching this with old friends will bring back childhood memories and an appreciation for Steven Spielberg’s craft.

Emma Citizen is a culturereporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com.