Letter: Higher learning today displays anti-Christian bias

Hello. Writing to all you out in academia about the election from the viewpoint of a Christian. I was raised in my family as a liberal Democrat back when that was a good thing. What I mean by that is the liberal Democrats have now come to stand for things I no longer support.

We used to be for integration and proper hours and wages for workers. Honestly, I agree with both parties on certain issues so I am what is called an independent.

This election has been by far the most bizarre and difficult one to date and many people feel that way. Although many of us were shocked to see Donald Trump become the candidate, honestly, I don’t trust either candidate but agree with Trump on the issues more than I agree with the Democratic stances on issues. Not, again, that I trust either one wholeheartedly.

As a Christian, I just put my ultimate trust in God but I vote. In the long run, it’s the spiritual matter of life that are the most profound and long-lasting in importance. And, honestly, I often view that the actions of our citizens do more to bring good in our society than what our presidents do. The everyday citizen does so much to influence our communities; how we take care of one another on a daily basis.

I am a bit concerned, though, that in the current college campus atmosphere there is some element of brainwashing students. I had one teacher at UNM in an English class constantly put down Christianity.

This is not okay. He’s there to teach English and not to influence young people against Christianity and not to promote Communism, which he did. You can present ideas and let the students make up their own minds but I feel it is wrong ethically to try to influence students to your own religious or non-religious beliefs.

Lastly, almost if not all of the most prestigious universities were started by Christians. So, Christians obviously had no aversion to higher learning. But, the Bible has been bashed a lot lately and I’m just here to say that it is a book of wisdom, truth and a tale of spiritual events.

It is a real guide book for life. And, if people bring up the wars in the Old Testament, well, that is a historical recounting of what man has done to man. People have been fighting wars against each other from day until this day. Christians believe that it will end one day and there will be peace on earth.

So, not telling anyone how to vote, but just letting you know that you may be being influenced in college, and college is where to have an open forum without teachers trying to influence students but to guide them in the search.

Jean Hampleman

Sante Fe reader