David Dixon: Eonomics professor by day, band bassist by night

Nestled in his office on the second floor of the Economics building, economics professor Dave Dixon appears to be just another professor, studying up on current health systems and economics training outside of the classroom like any University faculty would. However, after just a few minutes of conversation it’s clear this economist is no ordinary man.

When nighttime falls and the lights of Nob Hill come to life, Dixon becomes the bassist for local band Los Unusual Suspects as well as several others including Good Green and jazz band Off Day Trio.

A proud Lobo and native New Mexican, Dixon studied physics at UNM years ago, before beginning a career in software development. For 30 years Dixon created computer models and simulations of prominent world events such as Y2k. Dixon’s work moved him to Florida, where he quickly felt out of place, longing to return home to his wife and Native New Mexican culture.

More recently, Dixon has done work for the private health sector, creating trends that analyze risk aversion for organ transplants, so companies can understand how to implement changes and advancements in procedures and processes.

After his physics career, Dixon sought a third degree in economics, turning his attention towards teaching. Since earning his degree, Dixon has moved back to Albuquerque where he has taught at UNM for five years, a move he likens to his “retirement strategy.”

“Teaching has always been an exciting experience,” Dixon said. “Being able to share what I have learned and to pass these skills on.”

Growing up in a musical household Dixon was always deeply involved in music. An avid guitar player and lover of jazz, blues and classic rock, he picked up bass in high school for a jazz band he was in, but put it down for many years when his attention returned to guitar.

“Los Unusual Suspects” formed in 2010 by Dixon and several guitarists, looking to play a local festival in Albuquerque. Dixon said the band, then comprised of a whopping three guitarists, needed a bass guitarist to truly flesh out their sound. Thus, Dixon’s passion for bass was born.

Dixon moved to stand-up bass and vocals, backing up Mike Skelly on guitar/vocals, Carli Marshall on saxophone, Jon Deaux on guitar and Chris Chavez on guitar/vocals.

Los Unusual Suspects frequently play around Albuquerque and Santa Fe performing covers of traditional blues and jazz standards by musicians such as John Hiatt, Willie Dixon and Ray Charles.

“Both bands (Los Unusual Suspects and Off Day Trio) are very improvisation oriented, with lots of solo breaks and heavy jazz emphasis.” Dixon said. “Unusual Suspects is the only band that has original songs as well. Our lead Richard writes a lot of our songs and they are in this sort of delta blues genre that’s very unique.”

While Dixon continues to hone his talent and live basswork with a number of gigs and shows across Albuquerque, he said he also noticed a startling trend.

“Recently, in the last year, the live music scene in Albuquerque really has contracted. From an economics standpoint,” he said. “The popping up of all these brew pubs is really digging into the customer base of currently existent places, so a lot of these joints are losing their customers. It’s really just hurting everyone.”

Although the music scene in Albuquerque seems to be quieting down, Dixon and crew have no intentions of staying silent, looking forward to playing more live gigs heading into the summer.

Los Unusual Suspects now practice once a week as the bandmembers balance music with their busy schedules. Dixon continues to practice bass guitar daily and teaches a hefty course of lectures in the Economics department.

Those looking to see Dixon performing can catch the Suspects at the upcoming Revolutions Theatre Festival, hosted by TrickLock company on March 14th. Information on future gigs and the band’s music can be found athttp://www.losunusualsuspects.com.

Troy Amato is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Troy_Amato.