Unique food and art collective to host pop-up dinner

On Feb. 26, the organization FoodGore will be hosting a special “Tea for Two” event, featuring food, tea and local art.

Started in Oct. 2015 by Mayaneli Brown and Niles Keith, FoodGore is a unique collaboration between chefs and artists, combining art, food, jewelry and homemade ice cream. Through its regular art show pop-ups, FoodGore has become a perfect showcase for local artists of all kinds.

Brown said that there’s no limitation when it comes to involvement.

“Various art has been displayed at shows — we've had tattoo artists, architecture students, artists who have already been selling, photographers and essentially anyone who reaches out to us and would like to have a show,” Brown said. “We tend to like more of the pop culture-y, nerdy and indie type of artists.”

Brown said that she originally held FoodGore in an empty room at her old house, hoping to start an ice cream cart with the profits it earned. After gaining popularity, FoodGore moved to its current location at The Shop restaurant in Nob Hill.

Brown said the new location provides greater space and exposure for local artists, giving a home to the original dream she had for the project.

FoodGore’s “Tea for Two” looks to shake up the normal FoodGore formula, as normal shows are free. But this special event is priced at $40 a person. Brown described it as a “high-tea vibe with a little FoodGore twist.”

“This particular event is going to be a little different from our other shows,” Brown said. “Instead of a show, we're going to do a pop-up dinner. Instead of focusing on local artists, we're going to focus on local food and drink.”

Brown said that their pop-up dinner will consist of five courses that will be paired with tea from The New Mexico Tea Company, a local tea shop located here in Albuquerque.

This month’s event looks to be a tasty treat for foodies and tea-lovers alike. Those looking to attend can RSVP on FoodGore’s Twitter account @foodgoreshop. To find out more about “Tea for Two,” or how you can get involved in future FoodGore shows, follow FoodGore on Facebook and Instagram, @foodgoreshop.

Troy Amato is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @troy_amato.