Letter: Be kind, be respectful, pay it forward!

Focusing on positive aspects of our lives can be one way to find comfort in the midst of the current uncertainty, concerns and challenges not only in our daily lives but also in our country.

Taking the time to appreciate what we DO have and the things around us that bring us joy can help alleviate the negativity we are subjected to. Most importantly, today is a great time to show gratitude, appreciation and respect for the good things and good people in our lives.

We can perform and generate kindness in our lives each and every day! The benefits of kindness can be contagious. The person receiving the act of kindness gets a lift and so does the person performing the kind act. Oftentimes, the effort to “pay it forward” to other people increases the feeling of compassion, helpfulness and well-being, becomes contagious (https://www.kindness.org/) and continues to spread!

Kindness is free! Every February, people all over our country celebrate national Random Acts of Kindness week to promote kindness that can be carried forward the rest of the year. The University of New Mexico will host its annual Be Kind celebration from Feb. 13-17 in conjunction with the national Random Acts of Kindness week. Just as in years past, the BeKind UNM committee is promoting kindness, gratitude, respect, integrity and courteousness through various events during the week including: a kindness carnival where people can make Valentine’s cards for veterans and patients at the UNM Children’s Hospital, compete in our teddy bear toss, and play several fun games; a teddy bear drive to benefit the Albuquerque Police Department so they are able to offer kids a little kindness; a Fill It Forward event sponsored by Satellite Coffee and Nusenda Credit Union, and other events. Information on all the events can be found on the Student Affairs BeKind page (http://studentaffairs.unm.edu/about-us/BeKind/index.html).

Make time for kindness! Take the time each day to do a random act of kindness. Give someone a smile, a compliment or a hug. Phone a friend. Open the door for someone. Send a donation to your favorite nonprofit organization. Pay it Forward! Be positive and show gratitude, and most importantly be kind and respectful. Being kind CAN be contagious and may change the world in small ways — and it’s FREE!

Kim Kloeppel, Ph.D.
Chair of the UNM BeKind Team