The Lobos will compete in the Longhorn Invitational this Friday in Austin, Texas before they head to the Mountain West Outdoor Championship in May.

Track and field: Lobos head to Longhorn Invitational

The Lobo track and field team will head to Austin this Friday and Saturday to participate in the Longhorn Invitational.

The Lobos were expected to post sterling marks in this final meet before competing in the Mountain West Conference Championships on May 10.

“Just do the things you can do,” head coach Joe Franklin said in an interview. “Get prepared for the conference championship.”

New Mexico would have to overcome the serious weather conditions this weekend, as there could be thunderstorms in Austin on Saturday.

“The weather can be challenging,” Franklin said. “Make sure that the athletes are prepared...We need to make progress step by step.”

After five major outdoor meets, the Lobos had found their leading positions in the conference with 11 individuals and two relay teams ranked in the top five.

On the men’s side, NCAA titleholder Josh Kerr ranked first in Mountain West in the 1500-meter run with his world leading time of 3:35.99.

In the 800, Kristian Uldbjerg Hansen placed No. 5 with his mark of 1:50.94 at Stanford last week,

Graham Thomas also moved up his ranking in the 3000-meter steeple to second in MW with his solid mark last weekend (8:54.29).

Mustafa Mudada (third, 52.68) and Cheyne Dorsey (fifth, 53.34) were both conference leaders in 400 Hurdles

The men’s distance squads also contributed two top relay teams. The Lobos’ 400-meter relay placed at fifth (41.86), while their 1600-meter relay ranked third (3:09.58).

Out on the fields, Tanner Battikha ranked No. 2 in the long jump (24 feet, 1 3/4 inches).

In the triple jump, Samuel Trigg was also placed second with his leap of 51 feet, 9 1/4 inches.

Malik Mathews-Gord ranked No. 3 in the javelin throw (195 feet, 1/4 inches).

On the women’s side, Jannell Hadnot led the triple jumpers with her leap of 42 feet, 10 1/4 inches.

In the heptathlon, Kyra Mohns ranked second with 5125 points.

The trio of distance runners, Alice Wright, Sophie Eckel and Kendall Kelly were all placed in the top five in the 5000-meter run. Wright ranked No. 1 with her time of 15:53.28, Eckel sat at third (16:08.09) and Kelly placed No. 5 (16:26.36).

Along with the conference-leading individuals, the Lobos would aim at season best records in Texas to get ready for the upcoming conference challenges.

The Longhorn Invitational begins at 11 a.m. MT on Friday and will continue at 9 a.m. MT on Saturday.

Bo Yu is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers beach volleyball, track and field, cross country and volleyball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Bo_YuB.