Men's Basketball: Weir calls new Aussie signee "a perfect fit"

The Lobos recruited from down under for their latest signee to the University of New Mexico's men’s basketball program for the 2017-18 basketball season.

That signee is 6-foot-5 wing guard/forward Makuach Maluach, who hails from Australia but was born in Sudan.

Maluach, 19, brings a healthy dose of basketball background with him, as he was a member of the Australian junior national team, where he competed in the FIBA U18 Oceania Championships — there, he averaged 7.2 ppg and five rebounds in 2016. He also played prep ball at Newington College in Stanmore, NSW, Australia under head coach Rex Nottage.

In an interview with the Albuquerque Journal’s Geoff Grammer, Nottage praised Maluach's work ethic as well as his rebounding.

Lobo head coach Paul Weir expressed a sentiment of happiness for the signing of Maluach, saying as much as he fits a particular “mold,” the team needs to be successful in the future.

“Makuach (Maluach) is a perfect fit for our system with his speed and shooting ability,” Weir said in a UNM press release. “We have been very selective with our remaining scholarships in search of difference-makers and feel as though he is one of those type of talents. His work ethic and character are exactly what we are aiming for and he is a terrific addition to our program.” 

Maluach announced his signing with the Lobos via his private Instagram account, writing, “Happy to announce that I’ve signed with the University of New Mexico. Beginning of a new journey. #GOLOBOS."

Since Weir’s time as head coach of the Lobos in early April, six players have signed with the program, leaving just two scholarships open for next season. Those signings include: Troy Simons, Vance Jackson, Jachai Simmons, Antino Jackson and Chris McNeal. Five of those players, including Maluach, will be eligible to play next season. Vance Jackson is the exception, as he is transferring over from UConn where he started in 21 games for the Huskies last season.

Matthew Narvaiz is a senior sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @matt_narvaiz.