Letter: The "cult of ignorance" is destroying America

The New Mexico Public Education Department is refusing to answer who or what is behind the push to lower scientific standards for students of public education, in this failed state of New Mexico.

“The agency has declined requests to name anyone it met with, as speculation has swirled around possible political motives and concessions to skeptics of human-caused climate change and scientific evolutionary theory.”

The age of this glorious creation, planet Earth is not 6,000 years, like it states in the Bible. Thanks to science and carbon dating, it’s estimated to be around 4.5 BILLION years old! #Viejo

Here in the reality-based community, in just the last 65 short years of that massive span of time, the human population has exploded from 2 to 7 BILLION. How could this not impact the planet, species, resources and yeah, its climate? Mother Nature is intricately connected.

Also for the pro-life people in New Mexico, where the Medicaid birth rate is nearly 75 percent, isn’t family planning and subsidized contraception far cheaper than welfare and food stamps for life? Wouldn’t it cut down on child abuse?

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” —Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Brian Fejer