Douglas Brown Portrait

Portrait of Douglas Brown. On Friday, Feb. 15, Brown was confirmed to be a UNM Regent by the State Senate. 

Brown hopes to solve problems as incoming regent

The New Mexico State Senate recently confirmed all five of Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham’s nominees for the University of New Mexico Board of Regents. One of those appointees was former Anderson School of Business Dean Douglas M. Brown. He previously served on the UNM Board for two years before his service as State Treasurer of New Mexico in 2005.

Brown said he wants to tackle problems that will eventually help UNM in the near future.

“It's really important not to show up with a big agenda, it's important to tend to the universities short problems such as budget — longer term is to plan for vitality for the future.” Brown said.

With an extensive background in business, Brown said he understands times change and with that there is a need for critical decision making. He received his bachelor’s and MBA from Stanford University and was recruited out of his native state of California. Brown is also the CEO of Brown and Brown Ventures in Albuquerque. 

“Changes are coming so fast in the future. It is going to take some deep thinking to try and figure it out,” Brown said.

Being a season ticket holder for the men’s and women’s Lobo basketball team, Brown has been very active in the UNM community through his five-year break from working at the University. He said he considers being the dean of Anderson to be one of his highest achievements. According to the UNM Newsroom as dean of the Anderson Business School, he brought his contacts to UNM to benefit the school, its programs and students.

Brown is also CEO and interim-President of the First National Bank of Santa Fe on top of being a part of fifty board of directors over the years. Brown has also received “Top CEO of the Year Award” by Albuquerque Business First and a “New Mexico Distinguished Leader Award” by Leadership New Mexico.

“I love the UNM Lobos, and giving opportunity to the Lobos. I love to help the cause and trying to improve it,” Brown said.

Cade Guerrero is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted by email at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @CadeGuerrero.