Four female artists on the rise

The music industry is no easy place to make it. With an immense variety of genres, record labels, a wider variety of audiences than ever before and streaming platforms, music is quite literally at our fingertips. The following is a list of four up and coming female musicians from diverse backgrounds whose work falls into several different genres.

Mahalia

England based alt-R&B-soul music and genre fusion artist, Mahalia, sings with a full, passion-filled voice. Touching on love, life challenges and other topics in her music, she began her musical career at a very young age. She released her first collection of songs back in 2012, and she currently has two albums, multiple EPs and multiple singles. Mahalia is a musically gifted woman of color who entered the music scene with a unique style and fresh perspectives.

FLETCHER

At 25 years old, Carli Fletcher’s most recent EP "You Ruined New York City For Me," produced through Capitol Records, came out just a few months ago and has already skyrocketed in popularity. Fletcher has previous experience in acting, and her recent EP is overflowing with vivid imagery of heartbreak. Her sadness is almost palpable. Filled with guitar, bass, percussion and synth, Fletcher’s sound falls closer to pop music but is sometimes classified as indie. In terms of up and coming pop music legends, Fletcher is the next female pop artist rising.

Sabrina Claudio

Originally from the U.S. and part Puerto Rican, Claudio released her album "Truth Is" earlier in 2019. The title track has soared in popularity, with another recorded version of the song in Spanish. Incredibly, this song is equally beautiful and emotion-evoking regardless of which language it is in. On the gentler side, this entire album is worth a listen — it has dark undertones, which lead to a discussion of healing. According to Spotify’s bio for Claudio, she has been influenced by jazz artists in creating the rhythmic flow of this album.

FKA Twigs

Tahliah Barnett falls into an electronica, avant-pop genre with her unique sounds. She is originally from the United Kingdom and has brought flowing, holy-sounding harmonies to listeners across the globe. Her 2014 album was called "LP1" and, from there, she featured on A$AP Rocky’s album "Testing." Her latest album "Magdalene" was released on Nov. 8. Earlier this month, Pitchfork rated "Magdalene" at a 9.4 out of 10, reinforcing the singer’s quality status.

Megan Holmen is the news editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @megan_holmen

Luisa Pennington is the culture editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @_lpennington_